Nikon F5 - sticky rubber?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by GarageBoy, Jan 4, 2013.

1. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is the F5 another victim of the sticky rubber or will I be okay in that aspect?
    Thanks

2. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps explaining by what you mean by "sticky rubber" may encourage some responses.:whistling:

3. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What do you think? Duh. Take my word for it. You gotta fix your foam, period.

4. Ap507b

Ap507b Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't recollect reading on forums of F5's having the problem. There is none whatsoever on my F5. The rubber armoured panels can be got as spares anyway so should you need to change one it will be a lot easier than a F90 etc.

The F5 is a lovely camera to use IMO & for what they are going for these days presents great value. Just be prepared for how heavy it is round your neck.

5. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My f5 had the loose rubber issue. Nikon agents here fixed it nice and cheap for me

6. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no sticky rubber for me

7. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My F5 is a workhorse and no sticky anything.

8. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Awesome
    The F100's grips and backs turn into a tacky mess

9. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Three F5 bodies used with some regularity in a variety of environmental conditions (from -25C/-30C in the Rockies over the course of the last several winters, to +30C in the summer here at home and throughout Cascadia) and I have yet to experience problems with the rubber coverings (the "sticky rubber" problem) coming loose from the bodies of any of these cameras. Given that I had never heard of anyone having problems with the coverings prior to reading the OP (hence my initial remark, above), was "sticky rubber" a short-term QC issue for Nikon?

10. Oldtimer Jay

Oldtimer Jay Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Every Nikon with a ruberized finish (4) I own has developed this problem. It is an epidemic among most of the late model cameras from all manufacturers that have this type of finish with no cure and no means of prevention. It seems to be almost entirely related to age, as cameras stored in cool environments in benign atmospheres (including with dessicants) often develop it. It is a major bummer which is forcing me to consider getting rid of a lot of cameras I thought I would be using 20 years from now.

11. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The finest Nikon was the F2. Actually the finest Nikon was a Nikkormat. Nothing wrong with MINE. Sorry for you guys stuck with those things. Looks like you're going to have to start tearing off coverings and fabricate some leather, if it can be done.

12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was so stupid didn't buy the Nikkormat. I did buy the F2AS but still I moved on and bought the F3HP and the F5 spending way more money than necessary to own Nikon's finest.

13. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The N90's are the notorious backs. I regularly use an FG, an 8008s (and an 8008 with a polaroid back) - the N90 is the only one that's gotten sticky.

It's not that hard to fix though - I used rubbing alcohol, laid strips of Saran wrap over it to let it soak in, and scrubbed with an old terry cloth. That coating is actually clear, so the back stays glossy black. You do lose the Program icons (I don't think that body ever left "M" mode though). It will come off easily where hands have touched it over the years; the rest will still be visible but not sticky, more like you rubbed a clearcoat halfway off. I gave up at that point, but it seemed if I kept going or got out the 99% alcohol I could have finished the job. I just wanted it not-sticky, not concerned with looks on this body.