Nikon F6 is not discontinued

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Henning Serger, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

now we have an official statement (Nikon Germany), that the rumours about the production stop of the F6 are not true (rumours in many internet forums).
    This camera stays in production.
    I think very good news, it is an absolutly outstanding camera.

Best regards,
    Henning

2. pedrosolorzano

pedrosolorzano Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hadn't heard any rumors like this at all, but it's nice to hear it discredited.

4. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few years back the Nikon USA rep told me that everything from Nikon is produced in batches and often things become unavailable until the next batch is produced. Nikon is a small company after all.

5. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whenever you want to see what is discontinued from Nikon, you go here.
    Anything else claimed somwhere on the net is nothing but bogus scamming by some peddler of digital devices trying to drum up business using good old FUD.

6. fdisilvestro

fdisilvestro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Film-Niko

Film-Niko Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pedro, here in Europe it is similar. I ordered my new Nikon F6 in the middle of december. And it was delivered last week, so delivery time is currently about 3-4 weeks.
    Seems that most distributors don't have them in stock and supply is coming direct from Japan.

8. Film-Niko

Film-Niko Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AFAIK the rumor started with a statement of Grays of Westminster, the big Nikon dealer in London. In general a very realiable source. Then it "travelled" around the world via some internet forums (I have seen it on photo.net, nikonians.org, some european Nikon forums).

9. Film-Niko

Film-Niko Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  10. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just about everything you buy is made in batches

The only thing that varies are the size of the batch and the frequency of the production runs

Its a very economic way to manufacture

It also means you buy more freshly made products

Do you really want to buy a camera/lens/.... that has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for some years gathering dust or would you prefer a recently made example fresh from the factory ?

The only obvious example that are made by a continuous process are cars

Martin

11. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why would they do that?

12. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's one of the reasons that car companies in North America are in big trouble, they have 100 models, and 100 factory lines, pumping out product continually, by the time they realise they have too much stock, you have a parking lot with 50,000 units in it, that you can't sell. A factory that could turn out limos one week and puddle jumpers the next based on dealer orders, would mean less stock and money in the parking lot.

13. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably for the same reason I got that same answer from a local retailer who claimed I couldn't get any accessories for my F6 late last year because "it had been discontinued".

It was only when I threatened to report them to our Fair Trading commission that they relented, got on the blower to Nikon Australia and got me the part I wanted.

To put it simply some myopic retailers just do not want to carry anything to do with film. These are also usually the ones who complain the market for digital is "too competitive", with "e-commerce being a pain for retailers".

Personally, I think it's natural selection in action: anyone who doesn't want to sell a product that has customers deserves whatever happens to them.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Distagon

Distagon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you very much for this positive news, because I intend to buy a F6. I prefer new equipment, therefore it's great to hear the F6 is in production.

16. Medusa83

Medusa83 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's good to hear Nikon Canada was hinting it was going to be discontinued to me over Christmas.

17. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    in production is fine, but not neccessary

It's good news for people wanting to buy one factory-new or needing their F6 serviced in the forseeable future, but what is it with this preoccupation with cameras still being in production (man-jewellery, eh?). I got mine from Ebay like all other camera purchases the last few years. As long as there are films and batteries for it, it'll keep on working until it fritzes out, and then it's back to Ebay for the next great camera. The oldest one from there that I have in use is older than me and will probably survive me. Good bye GAS!

Christoph

18. ripuron

ripuron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    continuous process

CHRYSLER LEARNED THE HARD WAY ABOUT "CONTINUOUS PROCESS" BACK IN THE LATE 70'S AND EARLY 80'S. OVER HEAR IN WINDSOR THEY HAD ALL THESE CORDOBAS PARKED AT THE AIRPORT, DRIVE IN THEATERS (REMEMBER THOSE) EMPTY PARKING LOTS, WHEREVER THEY COULD FIND SPACE. THEY KEPT BUILDING THEM EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE NO ORDERS FOR THEM. SOME SAT FOR MONTHS, AND DURING THE SPRING THAW THEY WOULD SINK IN THE MUD. THEY HAD TO GET TOW TRUCKS TO GET THESE " NEW CARS" OUT . MANY ROTTED OUT FROM UNDERNEATH DUE TO SITTING IN THE FIELDS. NOW THEY BUILD TO ESTIMATED ORDER AND THE ASSEMBLY PARTS ARE "JUST IN TIME" DELIVERED.

19. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why are you shouting about cars sitting in a lot here?

20. Joe Grodis

Joe Grodis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good to hear the F6 still may be obtainable! I was very shocked to hear Nikon discontinued making film cameras... sounded like a bad dream.

21. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I could be wrong, but I think many of the internal parts (mirror-box, shutter) of the F6 are used in the D3 and D3x digi-cams.

22. ripuron

ripuron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    JUST RESPONDING TO MARTIN AISLABIE AND PHAEDRUS DISCUSSION ON 1-22-09 ABOUTCAMERAS BEING PROCCESSED IN BATCHES.

23. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While not being a Nikon user, I find the attention given to credibility of "rumour" in this thread to be quite amusing, as nsouto pointed out, wait for or read of an official announcement from the manufacturer, and don't get too carried away with conversation appearing "internet forums", magazines etc.

24. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OT, sorry folks...

Hi Ripuron,

Phaedrus was commenting on your habit of posting using capitals - it's considered SHOUTING, and often seen as rude, on the most forums. Please turn off your Caps Lock; It's the third key up on the left of your keyboard. Thanks. :smile:

25. ripuron

ripuron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry off topic also.

Thank you Kevs, I was unaware of that. Guess I'm a bit behind in times. I learned something today. It wasn't meant to be shouting.

sorry, :-(

26. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm just glad the F6 is still in production. I've been working up the nerve to purchase one.