Nikon F6: something funny in viewfinder

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ymc226, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ymc226

ymc226 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just noticed that when I look into the viewfinder of my F6, on the bottom part of the screen, there seems to be 2 areas that appear color distorted. It is somewhat like a faint rainbow, like oil on metal with different shades present. I don't know if I can describe it anymore accurately. Has anyone noticed this in their viewfinder, F6 or other recent Nikon SLR? The mirror is absolutely clean.

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I haven't seen anything like that on mine, but mine is only a little over a month old.

3. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've noticed something similar on other (non-Nikon) SLRs' i've used throughout the years. I always figured the color distortion was due to a slight "prism effect" with some optic somewhere, bending light in a funny way. Just a guess though.

Jim B.

4. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Could be an oily fingerprint on the outside part of the viewfinder.

5. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there anything on your negatives that corresponds to the distortions? You would prefer to have a perfect view for composition and evaluation, but unless it affects your prints it is probably more of an irritation than anything else.

Cheers,

6. fdisilvestro

fdisilvestro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you wear glasses that might be polarized? This actually happens if you use them.

Regards
    Francisco

7. Medusa83

Medusa83 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have noticed nothing like that on mine. Like mentioned above it could be a fingerprint.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can see it , it's not on the mirror. Also if it's like a prismatic/rainbow effect, take a look at the focusing screen. Mainly the edge nearest the lens mount. Not being familiar with the F6, does it have interchangeable screens & if it does is there a fingerprint or smudge on the prism above the screen?

9. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It does have interchangeable screens, but unlike previous F series cameras, the screen is removed through the lens mount. Replacement screens come with a special type of tweezers to remove it (as far as I know) without touching the screen.

10. ymc226

ymc226 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check the viewfinder tonight when I get home. I will also have to read the manual on how to get to the screen to see if this is the cause.