Nikon F601m broken door catch

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Gritycityflicks, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Gritycityflicks

Gritycityflicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, after collecting up 35mm film for our christmas trip my Nikon F-601m hit the deck yesterday :sad:((( The catch/latch on the backdoor has snapped off. From the ransacking of the internet that I have done so far, this seems to be a regular problem with these models. There are metal replacements for sale but they all seem to be in the USA and I need to get it sorted very soon for the holiday. Dose anyone know of a seller in the UK, any way of making a catch my self or dose anyone have a spare door hanging around.
    Thanks
    Ben

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Electrical tape :smile:

These cameras have come down in price so much, your best might be to simply replace it. The full-AF F-601 costs about $20 these days (US).

3. Gritycityflicks

Gritycityflicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yea electrical tape or super strength velcro is my backup plan :wink:

The only problem with the full AF version (for me) is the viewfinder. They dont have split/microprism focusing which is my preffered style. Thats why I went with the M version. These seem to be a bit harder to find but I am on the look out. Either that or gonna buy a broken AF and strip the back door off it mu ha ha ha hah ha

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You gain spot metering though, which the M model doesn't have. I used my F601 as a manual camera sometimes and I didn't mind the lack of a split image or microprism area, to be honest.

And if you end up disagreeing with me, the back swap option is absolutely on the mark.

Another option is to get a broken F601/601m with a good back, but I doubt it will be a lot cheaper than a working one given how low prices are right now.

Ever considered the N2000/F301? It's super cheap too, takes boring and easy-to-get AAA batteries and has an optional battery tray for AAs, and is a lot better made. It's a highly underrated camera.

5. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is unfortunately perhaps most common fault in F601/F601m cameras. Even without dropping.

My F601 is now 17 years old and backdoor broke up about 9 years ago. Got it fixed and camera has worked well since.
    If it will broke again, I will buy another body for spare part use. The camera itself is just too good to waste. And it has ofcourse some sentimental value too :smile:

6. Gritycityflicks

Gritycityflicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just as a finishing note. I ordered a metal replacement latch off the bay. Cost about 6 pounds with shipping and was fiddly to fit but my camera is back to its old working self now. Id recomend them if you dont want to hunt down a new camera :wink: