Nikon F90x - a fantastic workhorse

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dugrant153, Aug 18, 2013.

1. dugrant153

dugrant153 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have recently brought my F90x back into the action and I have to say that is has served me rather well and continues to do so. I rely on it heavily for any AF work.
    While the shutter/motorwind and rewind are a bit loud, the rest of the camera is practically tough to fault.

It's really interesting to see them being sold for a song and a dance.

Just thought I'd share as I think I will be keeping this Nikon in my "arsenal" for a while :smile:

2. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yup, it's interesting to see these sold for so little, when a 'full frame' DSLR still costs so much. But companies have always found it easy to convince people of what represents 'value' and what does not.

3. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a used N90s in 2004. It was a good all around camera, even though it was a bit large and heavy. Sold it in 2007 when I dumped all my film gear. When I came back to film about 2 years ago, I kinda missed that body.

4. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree, it set a cracking pace for Nikon. It received critical reviews for its capability when it came out.

For a long time in the 1990s the F90X was the camera for the task for rock climbers in Australia. Any number of well-known, widely published names here used an F90X with a 24 or 35mm lens swinging from a carabiner on their chalk bag. Glenn Tempest is one long-established climber/publisher who took an F90X all over the world on his travels, running Velvia 50 before the whole spectrum of publishing and photography went digital. No idea what they use now (all digital, for certain) but there's a good chance they'd be the top-notch Nikons and Canons, not necessarily light weight. I don't follow them or the activity at all now, nowhere near as much as I did when I had an interest in rock-climbing and cycling/travel around that same time. But I've witnessed a few F90X bodies take hard knocks, drops and crashes (and broken lenses) and still get going with a quick change of lens!

5. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    And the back has metal catches, not [lastic like the F100.

6. J.Marks

J.Marks Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a N90x about 6 years ago. It definitely is a work horse. Granted a little heavy but I like it that way. I have numerous lens and the entire system if flawless. As a matter of fact my wife and I just minutes ago climbed off the Harley after what we call "drive by photos". We were out photographing historic buildings of our area.

7. one90guy

one90guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The N90S was my 2nd favorite AF camera, only liked my F4s more. About 2 years ago decided to concentrate on manual cameras only, sold all my AF Nikon gear. Must confess I sometimes wonder what the hell I was thinking:blink:

David

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just purchased 2 of them without lens. I don't have any auto-focus lens other than one for a digital, which I don't think will work. Doesn't really matter, I like manual lens better and have plenty to pick from. Have not had time to use them yet, they are interesting.

9. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much larger is one of these than, say, a Nikon F3? My F100 doesn't fit in my tamrac holster case

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    40%?

11. oms

oms Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Compared to the F3HP, the F90 is about 5 mm wider and taller. They listed weights are nearly the same (although I don't know if the F90x spec includes the batteries).

The F90 is about 7 mm shorter than an F100 but otherwise about the same size.

12. jallee55

jallee55 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I used mine for climbing as well. At that time we lived in London and went to the alps about 3 times per year. And yes they can take a beating. I stuck the 28 MM lenses and went to town. It certainly feels much lighter than the F 100. Superb travel camera.

13. John Earley

John Earley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The N90s and the N6006 are my favorite film cameras for photographing children and animals.

14. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The N90 is as much of a tank as my F4S is. I truly was sad when I sold all but one body (had 3) when the F5 came to the house.

An underrated workhorse of a camera. I know I have recommended it to anyone who asks me about getting back into film cameras.

Bob E.

15. dugrant153

dugrant153 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The only issue I have with the F90x is the loud motor wind. If it was more subdued, it would be the perfect camera... and I'd buy like 5.

16. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree the motor is very loud, but I don't care. When I used my N90s alot, there was no question as to who was taking photos and when the photo was taken. Which can have it's advatages and disadvantages. If I need to be quiet, I bring something quiet like an FA or FE. Quiet as a mouse without the big winders on them.

May I suggest there is a mental "advantage" to a loud winder? At least with older folks for sure. Nobody made that much noise unless they were "a professional" and had a pro camera too.....

Bob E.

17. dugrant153

dugrant153 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For my work, (especially when I'm working street or very quiet documentary), noise is a major factor. I've shot similar scenarios with two different cameras (one with an Olympus OM4 and the other with an F90x/N90s). The Olympus OM4 barely makes catches people's attention. The F90x, with it's wild film scream and thumping of it's chest, turned ALL heads when I was shooting from a distance. Yikes!
    I totally see where you're coming from, SafetyBob, about being loud and it being a mental "advantage" ... don't think I've thought about it that way. I'll have to maybe thing about it. I knowJoe Buissink had F90x/N90s's and I don't think he ever complained about the noise. (I had originally typed Joe McNally... wrong Joe!).

18. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one N90S and one F90X. They cost very little but are capable cameras with many useful features. I use them mosty with manual focus lenses. The focus confirmation is handy and the ability to change focusing screens is useful for macro and telephoto work. If you want the equivalent of many megapixels, put in a roll of Ektar 100.

19. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sneaky way of being able to have two identical bodies that are not quite so identical, so that you can differentiate them easily. :smile: I like it.

20. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a lens off 'the auction site that must not be named' and when it turned up, the rear lens cap was actually a F90. I didn't need it, but I ran a few rolls through it and really liked it. They are a complete bargain at the moment. I saw one at a camera fair with the rubber cladding falling off but otherwise working perfectly for £15. I'm sure they were close to a thousand pounds new. They are a bit noisy though...

21. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking at various sites for a used one, it appears the backs are often in ugly condition, claimed to be typical of the camera. Is this true, and presumably only cosmetic?

22. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the rubber coating of the plastic tends to come off, especially from the back. It does make them look horrible but in no way affects their function.

23. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon had a known problem with the backs and replaced them under warranty when they were new if the back rubber started to peel. I believe the newer backs were far better than the old ones, but I'm not positive about it.

24. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    very common issue with the 90's. take the back door off, work it for 30 minutes with rubbing alcohol and its no longer sticky. not as shiny, but very functional.

25. Yebisu

Yebisu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got an F80 and I use it regularly. Mine has sticky rubber on the grip and back too. I just put up with it.