Nikon F90X

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by sandholm, Aug 19, 2010.

1. sandholm

sandholm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

First, want to apologize for the poor English (not my first language), and if my question is breaking any rules, let me know and i remove it.

So, I shoot medium format and large format, but I have always wanted a 35 mm camera because i just dont carry the hasselblad everywhere... (and i want a camera with me, and yes, Leica would be nice... but..)

So I have been offered a Nikon F90X with a Nikon AF 35-80mm D lens and the Nikon MB-10 motor.

The price is 125 euro, the camera looks almost new, the lens have no fungus/mold or scratches (it is without a uv-filter... but looks really good)

So to my questions

1; How is the F90X, should skip and try to get a F5/6 or a F100. I am no pro, but I want equipment that last, and I will be lugging this camera around.
    2; I have large hands... I read somewhere that the F90 is rather small, do anyone out there have a F90x, do you think its uncomfortable to shoot with?
    3; How is this lens? I read that its not really a super lens, but is anyone using one of these?
    4; The price, 125 euro, to much or a good deal?

If you had an option between a F90x and a F100 or a F5, what would you go for?

cheers

2. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi
    I have owned a Nikon F90x for 15 years. I recommend it highly -- it's quite an underrated camera, in my opinion.

In all that time, it's never needed servicing. This is a camera that was used in my job at a daily newspaper -- literally tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of rolls of film went through it!

It's meter is very accurate, I really can rely on it. It's well-designed, with controls where they need to be. I'm 6'2" and I found it a comfortable camera to work with...you shouldn't have problems handling it.

I have not owned that lens, so I can't speak to it other than to say Nikkor lenses are solidly built and of high optical quality.

The price sounds OK. I've also used the F5 and it is built very solidly although a bit larger and heavier. It may cost a bit more also but you get more camera for the price.

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice camera--good ergonomics with the MB-10, straightforward design overall. The MB-10 isn't a motor drive, just a grip with batteries and an extra shutter release that's handy for vertical shots. The 28-80 is a so-so kit lens; the 28-70/3.5-4.5 is much better. The F90x/N90s is also great with manual focus lenses. They've become fairly cheap on the N. American market. The www.nikonlinks.com site is very useful, especially for lens reviews:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_lenses_general.htm

4. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got 3 of them and they are excellent cameras. Very solid, great metering, good AF. The camera body sells for around $125usd for one in excellent condition these days.

Size wise the F90x with the added MB-10 is about the same as an F5. The F5 is a better camera and usually sells for around $425-$500 for cameras in very good condition. If I had to choose between the two (and I do have both btw) the F5 gets the nod. One nice thing about the F90x is that you can take the MB-10 off and it makes for an excellent travel camera.

5. karthik

karthik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is only if you have the standard battery holder/cover in addition to the MB-10, right?

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I were you I'll go with it. It is an excellent camera.

Jeff

7. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yup. Good point. The same holder fits across several contemporary models like the 801/801s-8008/8008s, too. AA power for these models always seemed like a gift from Nikon.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will want to get all three F90, F100, F5. Seems like a decent price and a good start.

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or you could get wide angle, normal and telephoto Rolleis and wear them at the same time as Bling! :wink:

Steve

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the Chicago area they were used by A LOT of wedding photographers. A very robust camera, not as fast as the F100/5/6 & it lacks some bells & whistles. Look for a comparison chart online to see if you need or want anything else. The only problem I have with it is ergonomics, I don't care for multiple buttons & prefer the control dials.

11. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is a really good point, and one that I've done myself while travelling overseas.

12. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Duct Tape!!! Who needs a stinking battery cover??!!

13. sandholm

sandholm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is what i like about this forum, The 90X it will be, but I will look around for a faster lens.

thanks, you all are great,
    cheers

14. ledzee

ledzee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a couple of F90X cameras.

I use use these bodies constantly, the F90X really is an excellent bit of kit, metering both ambient and flash are generally spot on. It is a nice body to hold comfortably and the weight is a lot less than my F4s. I have both bodies fitted with MF-26 data-backs that expand the shot possibilities with other options EG: multi exposure, bracketing, flash control and data imprinting. The only thing I do not have is an MC-31 cable to connect my PDA, thus enabling custom settings and film data download.

15. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you're not worried about looks, see if KEH have any BGN grade bodies. Got mine including data back for $49 a couple of years ago. With the exchange rate of the time, even including shipping and VAT it only worked out at about £60. The finish on the back is peeling off, and the window that lets light into the prism is loose, but it works perfectly and has never let me down.
    Ian

Edit: In the US N90S is exactly the same as F90X. Also, just had a look on KEH and BGN body with MF26 databack is now $25!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  16. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 2 F90x's and both are great. Many years without a CLA!

17. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    N90s

I got a N90s (same thing as F90x) a few months ago from KEH. It was BGN rated and cost me $29. I can find NO flaws with this body. I've described it before as "possibly a camera shop demo unit" can't be much more "used" than that. Virtually no scratches or paint wear at all. Nice solid camera. I use it with a 28-70 lens and I'm happy. I also am very happy with my F100, but it was close to 10 times as expensive.

18. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a N90s and an F100. The N90s was a gift; the F100 just came from KEH for $149.

The N90s feels bigger in the hand -- it has a chunky grip. I use it without the battery grip, and think it would be too big for me with the grip.

The F100 feels smaller than it is; I suppose that's the point of good ergonomics, you don't notice the tool in hand.

The difference between the two is in the interface, as was mentioned. I kept both cameras because their performance is similar and the N90s makes a good backup/second lens camera. But I much prefer the more modern interface of the F100. I've gotten used to the dual command dial (control wheel) interface, as it provides a workable simulation of a shutter speed knob and aperture ring. The N90s feels like a half-cooked interface, dating from before the camera world settled on a reasonable standard for the electronic control of aperture/shutter.

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I sold cameras the first thing I did was look and the hands, then asked how they wanted to use the camera and the price range. Those three things would determine which camera I would hand them first.

Steve