Nikon FA shutter/mirror sound

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Halka, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Halka

Halka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've just received my Nikon FA. While playing around with it, I've noticed it has two distinct shutter/mirror sounds, depending on which mode is it set to. If I trip the shutter while in P(ro) or S mode, it responds with a satisfying *clak*; but when firing in M or A mode, there is something else; like if my neighbor dropped a box of cutlery to the floor. First I thought it was the sound of a sub-mirror hitting the main one, but then I realized that FA only has a single mirror. Otherwise the camera works perfectly, shutter speeds sound about right, but I haven't finished my first roll of film in it yet.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you mean, like it's got a loose spring, yes. I sold mine because of that sound. Worked perfectly though. My other Nikons have a very solid, reassuring and satisfying shutter sound.

3. djcphoto

djcphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have three FAs that I got as part of a job lot of gear and I think they are good little cameras. The shutter sound though, particularly when compared to other Nikons, is distinctly odd. Mike's description is pretty accurate :smile:

4. Halka

Halka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys, seems like everything is in order then.