Nikon FE winder issue.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by fotoobscura, May 31, 2009.

1. fotoobscura

fotoobscura Subscriber

Oct 12, 2008
    Medium Format
    Added to my FE collection last week except this otherwise mint camera has a winder problem where the film lever doesn't lock after an advance. I am unsure if this is a quick fix or something where I have to take the bottom off.

I just bought it from a camera guy so if it requires any real work whatsoever I'll just return it. But perhaps...? The camera was mint and I got a great deal so I'd be willing to consider some minor fidgeting.

What I don't want is to have to repeatedly repair this same

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Apr 3, 2004
    Multi Format
    The latch is on the bottom of the camera.
    Remove the base plate & on the right hand(wind) side of the camera there's a lever that should have a copper or bronze colored plate on it. It has one screw riding in a brass bearing.
    When the camera is cocked, the end of this lever should engage a lever under the motor drive engagement disc. It could just need a spring re engaged.
    If the springs appear intact, there is a brass plate near the center of the camera. The copper/bronze lever has a finger that goes into the center of the camera. About 5mm or so into the camera there is a roller. You can see it move fwd & aft when you advance the camera. The copper/bronze lever HAS to be on the inside of this roller. By inside I mean away from the lens.