Nikon FE2 advice..

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Tom Richard, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi.

I´m in the market for a Nikon FE2 because it was my first 35mm camera and i´m currently in a "back track" project. Now, when i got my FE2 it was brand new off the shelf (1986) and for obvious reason there was nothing to worry about. As the rolls went by i had to change shutter twice and i believe i retired the camera when i upgraded to an F4. Now some times has went by...so, are there any specific things to look out for regarding buying second hand FE2´s? Any special anomalies that are time dependent? I believe there are light traps for the back, can these be changed easily? Are there still new shutters avaliable and if so, are there any shops that will service these cameras?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Tom Richard

(Forgive me if these topics have been covered, i did search but like any other huge forum search is a hit´n miss afair)

2. momus

momus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One of my favorite Nikon cameras. The only downsides are that they are all electronic cameras, and when they have problems electronically they tend to just stop metering and/or working. Repairing the shutters would surely cost much more than replacing the camera. All I can think of is to ck the battery compartment to make sure it's clean and shows no sign of past battery leakage, and to buy from someone that will accept a return if there are gremlins. If you're in the US, KEH is where I would buy one. I didn't fully ck out the last one I bought on fleabay, and after having it set around a few weeks I ran a roll through it, and first the meter died, then everything stopped working. Unfortunately, I had waited too long, and couldn't return it.

3. mporter012

mporter012 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a wonderful camera. I've used one quite a bit the last year. As momus suggested, I'd go with KEH.

4. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A friend of mine bought a brand new FE2 right when they came out. Boy was I jealous.

Just be aware like momus says, if the electronics fail it's not worth fixing. As old as they are I wouldn't want to spend a lot on one.

5. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It may be that if the electronics fail it cannot always be fixed. Nikon's supplies of spare parts dried up years ago (in UK) What they have resorted to here is canabilising other cameras to get them working again. FE2's are selling here for less than FM2's at the moment but There are a lot of FE2's that were bought as 'jewelery' and not used very much so you may still be able to pick up a decent one which has a long life ahead. A clean cosmetic outside is usually a good sign.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A few months ago I was given an FE2 by someone on photo.Net. It had a bend in one of the shutter blades which I have managed to straighten up enough to use it (I actually think it was still usable/lightproof as it was).

It is a nice body and feels nice to use.

Steve.

7. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the tips! There are no outlets in my neighborhood so i have to take my chanses on ebay. I know these things are hard to say but what would be an ok price for a unit in very good condition? Not talking about making a steal but a fair price..

8. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't know what a fair price is on the FE2 right now. If it was me, I would watch a few Ebay auctions end and learn.

9. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank Alan! I will do that :smile:

10. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH.com if you're in or near the US - the most reliable place to get used camera gear. I find eBay to be too much of a crapshoot to justify the small savings.

11. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used a FE2 for many years. Worked very well, although the shutter wore out and had to be replaced.

Trond

12. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, fellow norwegian!
    I used the FE2 myself in daily production from around 1986 until a year after the F4 was released so i´m familiar with the shutter problem. Replaced two on mine until it ended up as a second camera backing up an F3P.

13. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately i´m located outside the US and there are no alternatives to KEH in my neck of the wood, thanks for the tip anyway :smile:

14. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's this about shutters wearing out? I have had a FM2 since 1986, thousands of rolls through it without it even thinking about dying.

Different shutter?

tim in san jose

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Outside the US is quite a big place (although some Americans don't think so!).

If you let us know where you are, we might be able to offer a closer alternative.

Steve.

16. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be honest, i do not know if there are any mechanical differences between the shutters neither do i know if the failure was of a mechanical nature. Could have been the fact that the FE2 has an electronically controlled shutter and that the failure was located within the curcuits. I do not know if the FM2 suffered under the same trend. I do however remember this one time it looked like the shutterblades simply mangeled up in each other. I did use it as a working photojournalist an conditions are sometimes pretty harsh in the sense that you cant tuck it away when the rain falls and its always at your side beeing banged into things when you move.

17. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve, i´m located in Norway. I have to say, having bought quite a bit of second hand Hasselblad over ebay the last year i´m happy with that route. So far i have not been let down or otherwise ended up disappointed.

18. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are bushings on the shutter curtains that wear out on the early titanium shutters (the ones that don't have the one curtain with only partial honeycomb patterns on it), so any early FM2 or very early FM2n, plus early FE2's and FA's that will develop this issue. Especially if the shutters are fired a lot at 1/500 or 1/4000. You wind up with it firing at 1/8000 or 1/1000. From what I've read, the problem doesn't affect the shutters with the replaceable curtains (the shutter that has the partial honeycomb on one curtain, as well as the aluminun shutter used on late FM2n bodies). Replacement shutters can be had for FE2's and FA's without cannibalizing another of the same. I've seen a few FE2's and a couple FA's that had N8008 shutters installed, which are what the late aluminum shutter on the FM2n is based on. And probably what the FM3a shutter is also based on, just with a different mechanism to control the shutter speeds.

-J

19. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the valuable insight on the mechanics John!
    Since i bought mine back in 1986 it may have been an early version i guess and it also got it´s fair share of sport photography meaning that shutterspeeds obviously were up there quite alot. Very interesting.

20. Tom Richard

Tom Richard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a small update to my own post. I just ended up getting a black FM2 over ebay which seems to be treated nicely and have low milage. Time wil tell if it was a decent buy or not. This is actually a camera i always drooled over back in the day but never got around to get. I´m excited :smile:
    Now to go search for a decent 50mm..