Nikon Focusing Screen Identification

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Newt_on_Swings, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all, Ive been searching everywhere for a Nikon H2 screen for my F3HP, and found one for auction on the bay. Problem is the seller doesnt know which body the screen is for.

The box in the picture does not indicate what body and is blue in color. I am guessing this might be for the original F body.

What are easy ways to distinguish between screens for different bodies, without boxes or documentation?

Would this screen work for me? Also if anyone has a extra H2 screen for the F3 body for sale let me know!

Thanks

2. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My F and F2 screens are all in gold (yellow)-coulored cardboard boxes....
    Also the screens themselves have an "F" (or "F2", not home now so can't check) engraved on the outside of a long edge.

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I checked my F3HP before posting this, but the F3 P screen I have is labeled "Nikon P" only and on no edge does it mark it as F3. Yea that blue box is odd, cant make anything of it.

[​IMG]

4. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sigh!!! IIRC correctly, at least one of my F/F2 screens is also in a blue box like the one pictured.
    Can't check for any more distinguishing marks now though.

5. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  6. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That does not look like an F3 screen to me. F3 screens have a lip along one side, for hooking a fingernail under for removing. They don't say F3 on them, just Nikon Japan and the letter designation, both in red.

www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/screens/index.htm

Some of mine have gold boxes that say F3, and one has a blue box with yellow at one end, which says F3HP and Copyright 1993, Nikon Inc., along with some text.

7. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure as I don't have an F3, but I always heard that something needed to be modified for them to fit/work properly....

8. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    F/F2 screens are swappable. Neither fit the F3. Hearsay isn't reliable.

9. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which is exactly the reason I state quite clearly when something I post is hearsay.... :cool:

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why bother posting if you don't own an F3 and don't have a clue?

11. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Why sweat it? It's called conversation. Besides, he was responding to and expanding on a prior post.

The OP can follow up if he wants on the possibility that a modified one would work.

In a thread here on APUG a while back, someone claimed that the F/F2 screens can be remounted in an F3 frame and work. I've heard claims that F/F2 screens can work with modification to or repositioning in their own frame, but I don't know because I haven't tried it.
    Maybe after reading that, the OP will think it's worth a try. If he does try it, he can tell us how it worked out, and it adds to our collective knowledge base.

12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ...and it adds to our collective knowledge base.

That's my point. Hearsay and OT chatter don't do much for the site's knowledge base--or cred. Sorry.

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you miss the part where the knowledge base would be added to by investigating the possibility that modification was necessary? In contrast to what you said in your prior post, Rol_Lei Nut did have a clue-he said he had always heard that something had to be modified. He passed along that "clue" as possible means to a solution.

As for the issue of OT chatter: you started this little line of off-topic chatter, and it's far more destructive to the site's cred and to the tone of conversation on it than someone posting possibly valid information with the warning that they have no first-hand knowledge of its validity.

Rol_Lei Nut was just trying to be helpful.

I guess you are also trying to be helpful, but it's more distracting than anything else. What you are objecting to is a small issue, and to me and I'm sure many others, no issue at all. Considering the post to which you were responding, I think the tone in your first post is a much more valid issue than the occasional comment or suggestion based on hearsay.

14. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "What you are objecting to is a small issue, and to me and I'm sure many others, no issue at all."

Notwithstanding the fact the screens aren't interchangeable and won't fit without some undisclosed modification. Sure, I guess that's immaterial. Fine by me!

15. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  16. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    an entertaining chat you guys are having here... :whistling:

the screen pictured is for F2

ps. as for "the other topic"--i tried swapping between F2 and F3, both complete frames and just the sandwich between the frames. x and y fit is workable; what i never got to trust was z. swapped between frames one ground surface protrudes ever so slightly lower from the frame than the other. i was getting strangely misfocused shots, two or three per roll, perhaps the screens were rattling a bit loose... whatever it was i didn't investigate, it was just a little curiosity detour anyway

17. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, they do "fit", I have both cameras and have tried it. :smile: The missing notch on the front edge of the F screen means the spring loaded pin in the F3 won't hold it in place. Whether the fit (Z axis) is close enough for the F screen to be in the proper focal plane in the F3 is a whole different matter. :smile:

18. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all, I guess I'll keep looking for the F3 version instead of taking my chances with a loose screen inside the camera lol.

19. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. rusty_rust

rusty_rust Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Found an F3 H2 focusing screen in an auction box yesterday.

HI there,
    I was searching the internet to figure out what I found in an auction box yesterday and it appears to be what you are looking for. It is in a gold box and lists Nikon F3 focusing screen. The item itself has H 2 Nikon Japan printed on the side in red ink. It appears to be scratch free and is in the original box. Let me know if you are still looking for one.

Thanks!

Laurie