Nikon FT2 - Focusing Screen Fixed?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by pawlowski6132, Feb 28, 2013.

1. pawlowski6132

pawlowski6132 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd like to replace my focusing screen with a grid screen. Is it true that the focusing screen cannot be changed on the FT2???

2. pawlowski6132

pawlowski6132 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Crap, continued doing research and confirmed that is fixed. I really want a Nikon with:

1. Mechanical shutter
    2. Some type of MLU (timer activated is fine)
    3. Interchangeable focusing screens so I can get one with a Grid
    4. Manual focus

What do you suggest??

3. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
  4. pawlowski6132

pawlowski6132 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Can the F2 use a screw mount shutter release cable? Doesn't look like it.

5. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    No, you have to have proper release cable or an adapter for regular one. Well, you can't have every feature you imagined, sometimes you just need to fit in existing picture. This is one small thing to give up. YMMW

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use a Nikon cable release that has a large threaded end that screws over the shutter button, like the old Leica shutter buttons were. Or you can buy a small adapter that screws on any standard cable release that then screws onto the Nikon shutter release. These shouldn't be too hard to find, as they were very common at one time. Hope this helps. I have a couple of Nikon F2s and refuse to get rid of them, as they are great dependable cameras.

8. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The FM2n might be a good choice. It lost the separate MLU feature of the Nikkormat FT2, but gained interchangeable screens.

-J

9. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Nikon F2 is nice and the cable release issue is easily solved with an inexpensive adapter. There are many F2s around and prices vary. The trick is fnding one with a working meter that is in good condition and doesn't cost too much. If you can live without mirror lock-up and speeds over 1/1000 then consider a Nikon FE. You can get a grid (E) screen for it. Another possibility is an N2020. It's not a great AF camera but is a very usable manual focus camera. There are three screens: standard w/AF brackets, grid (E) and clear (B). You get a built-in winder, speeds to 1/2000, TTL flash capability, different exposure modes and focus confirmation. I have all three screens and, I think, six N2020 bodies. For macro work or for shooting with alower lenses like zooms you might find the standard screen is just fine. It's lilke the B screen but with the AF brackets which you can ignore. The FM does not have interchangeable screens and the FM2 and FM2N usually go for a lot more than the FE or the N2020.

10. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    FM2's are pretty cheap, actually. My local shop has an early black FM2 with some brassing for $89.50. Has the updated shutter in it, too. For $129.50, they have another that has the original style shutter. I know that my current FM2n was $129.50. Pretty clean.

-J

11. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One thing nice about the FM2n is that you can still buy brand new focusing screens. I've got an E3 (grid) screen in mine; I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems to affect the meter slightly, about 1/3 of a stop. The E3, B3, and K3 screens were made for the FM3a but they will fit in any of the FM/FE bodies.

Overall I prefer the F2 to the FM2n, but the latter is still a lovely camera.

12. pawlowski6132

pawlowski6132 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I know many of you have been on the edge of your seats but, I finally decided on an F2. I installed a a ground glass with a grid and have a magnifying waist level finder. The remote shutter release cable was a breeze to find (and cheap). I went with the F2 because of the dedicated MLU, the fact that it has a mechanical shutter and interchangeable finders. I'm in the habit of using a handheld meter so, not having a metered prism is not an issue so, no battery at all do worry about. The only thing I need is that little cold shoe mount doo-hicky so I can use my cold shoe mount bubble level.

So, I'm pretty happy.

13. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cool, I hope you like it! I use my F2 more than my other cameras; I want another one to keep different types of film in.