Nikon lens question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by David, Nov 22, 2005.

1. David

David Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I want to buy a good used 24mm lens for a Christmas present for a friend who has a Nikon F2. Perusing eBay there seem to be many types, D, Ai, F, etc. Could someone tell me what type of lens I need for the F2 - and perhaps what would be a reasonable price to pay? Thank you!

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I can't tell you the prices, but a D or G lens won't work. The F2 had an external connector between the lens and the viewfinder. You need an Ai type lens. Check out this page to learn more about Nikon lens types: http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm

3. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, the list of Nikkor lens I have says that their fastest 24mm lens was from 08/77 to 11/82 manufacture. it's a 24 F2.0 with 52 mm filter ring Lens hood HK-2. It has CRC which I think means shifting elements. Serial No.s 176021- weighs 305gms

Then there is the 24 f2.8 manufactured from 01/75-03/77 52mm filter ring hood HN-1 it also has CRC weighs 280gms.

Then there is the 24mm f2.0 Ai-S (Automatic indexing) don't know what the S stands for ser No. 200001- manufactured 10/81- 52 filter ring weighs 305gms it also has CRC. HN-1 hood

Then there is the 24mm f2.8 Ai-S ser No. 700001- manufactured 08/81- 52mm filter ring has CRC weighs 250gms HN-1 hood

The rest are all Auto focus jobs.

Mick.

4. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    D-lenses are just Ai-lenses withe a chip so they should work. The G-lenses does not have an apperture ring so they wont work. I think the S on AIS-lenses says something like Shutterpriority. They were made for the Nikon FA.
    See more here http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/entry.htm
    Regards Søren

5. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What??? Weren't D lenses non-AI lenses with Deca (ten) elements?

6. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :mad: You d*#"^* whistleblower :D
    Regards Søren

7. David

David Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thank you all for the help.

8. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You weigh your lenses?!! :smile:

9. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few years ago, for my F2, I picked up a Nikon 24mm f/2 AI in excellent condition on eBay for $295. You should be able to find one for a lot less.

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whoa there! Depending on which model F2 he has, different lenses may fit.

This is an abbreviated description, but basically AI lenses index to the meter via a cutout in the rear mount of the lens. Pre-AI lenses use that little rabbit ear tab sticking out from the aperture ring. Most AI lenses also have the tab to allow them to be used on pre-AI cameras. A better description than I gave is at http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

Now, depending on the prism on his F2, he may or may not need the AI lens. If he has an earlier prism, such as the DP-1, an AI lens will work, but is not required. If he has a later prism, such as the DP-11, then an AI lens is necessary to allow metering with fully opened aperture.

When Nikon first came out with the AI lenses, they offered a conversion service that replace the rear section of the lens. Others, such as John White (the www.aiconversions.com site), would mill the existing ring and (at least in the one he did for me many years ago) add a sticker to allow the prism to show the aperture.

There is no harm in getting an AI lens for his F2, but be aware that non-AI lenses typically sell for a lot less than the same lens does if AI.

11. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since the camera is a F2, why not a non-Ai for that? I used to have a non-Ai 24mm lens years ago, and I liked it a lot. All of my lenses were non-Ai at that time because I was satisfied with their quality and didn't feel like paying extra.

As long as you pick up a Nikkor lens, you and your friend won't be unhappy about the results that it produces.

13. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As mgb stated, the model of F2 determines the lens that fully functions with the F2 metering system--if it has one. There was an F2 (without meter), F2 Photomic (which requires an indexing prong on the lens), F2A (which uses AI lenses--"auto indexing"--which still have the prong). I might be mistaken but later lenses will all fit the F2 but they don't have the prong for indexing. I used Nikons from the early 70's through the 1990's but I never owned one newer than the F2A.

Incidentally, the 24/2.8 is a killer lens.

14. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, the D lenses will mount on the F2. I believe that if you have the older prism the meter (with the indexing prong) the meter won't work.