Nikon-made bulk-loading cassettes

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by chip j, Jun 26, 2013.

1. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have some Nikon cassettes that I bulk-loaded for use in my F; Does anyone know if these cassettes will work in the F2? Thanks so much

2. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would bet not, as the key that closes the F back to the body also opens the cassette. As the F2 has a hinged back, I imagine that there is no mechanism to perform that function. But I'll wait for someone who actually owns an F2 to chime in!

3. rthomas

rthomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There was a 36-exposure cassette for the F2, it was Nikon model AM-1. Whether these are the same exact cassettes as those for the F, I don't know. However, the F2 does have an open-close key, as you can see in the fifth picture on this page.

4. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks rthomas. I believe mine are AM-1's. Now I can think about getting a F2.

5. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the f2 also keys cassettes -- that's why you have to turn that little handle thingy on the bottom to open the back. I sincerely doubt Nikon would have made a different cassette --- backwards compatibility was more popular back then.

Leica did a similar thing -- black knob Leica film cassettes will only work in LTM cameras, but those with chrome knobs were made so they work in both LTM and M.