Nikon MD-12 not working correctly - any suggestions?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by zk-cessnaguy, Sep 3, 2013.

1. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just acquired an MD-12 for my FM-2n. The issue is as follows: when mounted to the camera, the motor whirrs and the red LED comes on but it doesn't advance the film or release the shutter. I've done internet searches and have tested it by shorting the 4 pins. When I do this, the motor whirrs but the the film advance drive dog does not turn. The shutter release pin is retracted. Does anyone have a suggestion to get it going again?

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It sounds as if something has gone wrong with the internal gearing. It's a make or break decision. MD12 drives are not that expensive nowadays so should be easy to replace, or try to open up the works yourself and see what is wrong and if it can be repaired. It would probably cost more to repair professionally than replace.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    down load the manual the operation is not intuitive.

the pin you reference is the rewind pin...

4. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Noel... FWIW: the pin near the film advance dog is, indeed, the shutter release pin.

5. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I get this once in a while with my MD-12. I haven't *exactly* nailed it down, but I believe it has something to do with synchronization. That is, the camera shutter is not cocked and film is not advanced when you attach the motor drive. Out of sync means that the motor drive *remembers* that the last thing it did was advance the film and cock the shutter. So now, it won't do its job because it thinks the camera is already cocked.
    When this happens to me, I manually cock the shutter so that the camera is in the state that the motor drive believes it should be in. The reverse is also possible. That is, the shutter is cocked when the motor drive state says it should not be. I know, this sounds like hocus pocus... but by fiddling with the camera with the drive disconnected, I can get it to work.
    I would love to hear if you can get your drive to work by this kind of fiddling. That would prove I am not nuts.

6. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    the first page of the manual says read me or damage your new toy

the symptoms you have are not hocus pocus

some of the operation is dependent on the serial number of your camera

the down load from the free manual site is free a repair costs money

I can't post a link from my phone

7. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    correct but see previous post

8. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suggest you take it to a camera repairer, having the repair manual and being able to repair the equipment are two different things, repair manuals are intended for professional repairers.

10. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    @Ricardo Thanks

@Ben the link is to user manual that came with the new cardboard box

as well as a serial number dependency the drive is dependent on leaving the wind on lever in fully parked position, there is a page on unjamming it after any rule transgression...

11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Setting up a MD-11/12 isn't intuitive but the manual makes it possible every time (unless the MD is broken). Pay careful attention to the details because there are many interacting rules to transgress.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I appreciated that, I just wanted to point out in principal that there's a difference in having a repair manual and having the training, skill, knowledge, experience and test equipment to carry out a repair.

13. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All fixed. A bit of benign neglect then a fiddle and it went 'click' and is now purring like a kitten :smile:

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Well, It had to be somethin'. Prob'ly weren't holding your lips right.

15. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It is easier to load a Barnack than getting the motor to work. Nikon goofed.

16. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe taking it into the garage and showing it the bench saw, drill press and BFH had something to do with it... :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  17. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe that's what I need to do with some other stuff around here too. My FE got out of sync once a long time ago with my MD-12. I have snagged that link to the manual. I can't believe I didn't go there and look at it.

From the same era, my FA and MD-15 also lost sync just once......well maybe twice, it's been awhile. I am paranoid now about being anal with my FA and FE and motor drives. Same way, everyday, no variation in anything I do.....which by the way is exactly how the manual says you should operate the thing......I know, read the manual.

Good information and reminder though!!

Bob E.