Nikon metering

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by balint, Feb 28, 2003.

1. balint

balint Member

When using my camera (F5) set to aperture priority mode, in low light conditions will often say LO - not enough light to meter. But simply switching to manual mode, in the meter will work fine, indicating in the viewfinder ev scale the correct exposure.

All this happens when using slow film ISO 50-100. I don't understand why is the metering limited in aperture priority mode. Any hints?

cheers

2. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's a software limitation introduced by Nikon. They assume that if you are in such low light you should be on manual so you know exactly what you are doing and don't get fuzzy pictures due to camera shake and then blame it on them.

3. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Useful. When I shoot in A mode, I tend to focus more on things like....well...focus. I am not thinking so much about shutter speed. That warning is pretty helpful to keep me from shooting at 1/15 or 1/8.

4. tomicjusz

tomicjusz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I shot with my camera - Nikon F50in A priority it happens the same and in M mode the problem don't exists too. Perhaps it's the Nikon's "beauty"??

5. panchromatic

panchromatic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that perhaps the camera software may have that limitation due to it taking the films recieprosity into account cause the meter does meter in a linearly

just a guess?

6. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In which metering mode?
    Matrix?
    I think what the camera is trying to "tell" you is, under-exposure might occur!

Cheers

André