Nikon N5005: Is it dead?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Karl K, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Nikon N5005 which stops the lens down to f/22 no matter what I do.
    I tried the lens, a 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor, on my F100 and N80 bodies and the lens is perfect. The aperture actuating lever on the N5005 seems OK. It moves down and up when the shutter is activated. I've tried operating the camera/lens combination on all modes, both with and without film loaded. The lens always stops all the way down. Am I doing something wrong?

2. mfobrien

mfobrien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't the N5005 have you adjust the aperture on the lens? So, if you do that in manual or aperture priority mode, and set it at f 1.8, the lens stops down to f22 when you press the shutter?

3. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You try opening the lens completely on the aperture dial, then place it on the camera, as opposed to doing so after placing it on the camera (not sure that'd make a difference.)

4. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On the N5005, you set the lens aperture to it's smallest setting, and then use the dial on the top to set your aperture. If that doesn't work, then there is something wrong with the camera.
    I think this is a much maligned camera. I have read nothing good about it on various forums. Yet I owned and used one for at least 10 years without a problem. The only issue I had with it was slow AF, but all cameras from it's genreation had slow AF.

5. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all for your feedback. The camera is dead. The lens is fine. The lens will find itself used occasionally on my F100 and N80.