Nikon N80 viewfinder oddity--any ideas?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Hyun, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Hyun

Hyun Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just bought a used N80 via eBay. The camera arrived today, and it seems to be in a great shape, except that there's a strange, see-through "gap" beneath the bottom of the viewfinder where the aperture and shutter speeds are displayed. Here's a couple of pictures of the viewfinder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've looked inside the mirror chamber of the camera, but can't see anything obviously wrong. The camera seems to work OK with a lens attached. I haven't shot a roll through yet, I'm going to do that later today and see how they turn out.

In the meantime, does anyone know what the abnormal showing above may be?

2. Carlb

Carlb Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    At a guess I'd suggest that the silvering on the prism is starting to deteriorate. I bought an OM 1 recently and when you looked through the viewfinder you could see a couple of marks at the bottom that looked like the residue after you pull sticky tape off of glass. Underneath that was something that looked like a frame or part of the structure of the camera. It looked similar to what you have there.

I had the prism replaced and all the marks are gone and the viewfinder has a nice black border all around it again. Might be worth asking a repairer if this is what's happening to the prism in your camera.

3. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a similar gap under the viewfinder of my N80, though I don't think it's as pronounced as what you show. Mine has functioned flawlessly since I purchased it in 2005. Well, almost... it's starting to show the use. It's not my main camera, but it's my "everything" camera and travels with me in the bottom of a napsack everywhere I go. (not even a proper camera bag such as I would use for a photo outing or travelling.)

These are great and durable cameras. If you don't have the M-16 (?) battery grip, I would recommend getting one. With it, I power my camera with rechargeable AA batteries, and the added size and weight creates a better balance between the body and my lenses.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would send it to nikon. If you don't feel like that, you can just shoot it and compensate if the viewfinder is off.

5. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I, too, would have a Nikon technician or a camera repairman look at it. Back when I still had AF cameras, I had several N80s (four, I believe), and I do not remember seeing anything like what you have posted here. I would have noticed, too. I second the suggestion for the battery grip, the MB-16. It seems to transform the N80. Actually, a grip will help any camera, but it seems to have an even grater impact on the N80 and F100.

6. Hyun

Hyun Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well the roll I put through came back absolutely fine. No signs of light leaks or scratches or anything out of the ordinary. If I find a good local repairshop, I might take it in to have them take a look at it, but the camera seems to operate just fine.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and insights!