Nikon N80

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mjames, Aug 23, 2005.

1. mjames

mjames Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What do you guys think about the Nikon N80? From what I've read, it seems like a pretty good moderately priced camera.

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've had one for the past 5 years, and I like it a lot - it has been all over the world with me. Small and light, it has one of the newer autofocus modules. I would consider buying another one.

3. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As in, my N80 could have an older focus module??

I ask that because that is my only gripe with my N80... The AF is a little slow at times. It will at times do a lot of "searching". Know what I mean? It also uses one of those little lights, for low light situations, for the AF, which also annoys the crap out of me... If I am trying to shoot something candid, the light tips the people off....

But thats my only gripe.. I love that camera. I have considered another for a backup.. I may get a used F100 or F5 though, for a primary.

4. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have both an N80 and a F5. I find that for ocean scenes, the N80 locks focus easier than the F5. I bought the F5 a couple of months ago so now I use the N80 as my backup camera. I like the focus selector on the N80 better than the F5 and the N80's viewfinder grid is nice as well, but I found the N80 to be a bit small (I have the battery pack for it, so it isn't too bad). The F5 is in a totally different league; it is much bigger and heavier.

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for the different price points out there, I would look at a pre-owned F100, it is a heck of a camera for the money, still small enough to handle easy, and very durable feeling in your hands, I am not a Nikon person, but absolutely love the feel of the F100 in my hands.

Dave

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought one about 2 years ago, also witht the battery grip. I wouldn't use autofocus for landscapes but i do use it for people shots and a couple weddings. It searches quite a bit. It sucks compared to the eos-1N i got recently from the big auction site. The other reason why i'm disapointed is that the camera shuts down in cold weather. Anything below 35deg. F and it won't work. I don't know if they all do this or not. I tried both battery options and no luck.
    You've got to get the f5 if you want all the good features like 100% viewfinder coverage, autofocus, weather seals, metal body, mirror lock-up, and fast frame rate. just my 2cents

7. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellent camera. Ergonomically the best I've handled by a long, long way. I've had mine for about five years and like it more each time I use it.

Highly recommended.

8. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I considered the N80, until I discovered it's 1/125 flash sync. I then purchased an N90. Which I really like. If the flash sync is not a concern, the N80, is a fine camera.

Kiron Kid

9. madvax

madvax Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on the lens you're using. AF is pretty fast when I use primes, and slow with my cheap 70-300 zoom (plus it sounds like this thing is powered by a diesel engine :tongue: )

10. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tip- Buy the F100 or the F5 or 6, for that price, don`t complaint.

Now, that`s a good piece of advice!

And your comparison also sucks, how can you compare those two machines?
    One, a flagship of Canon, the other one, a semi-professional body from Nikon, ridiculous!
    I live in Helsinki/Finland, I can asure it`s cold enough, have worked with the "little wonder" outdoors with -25c and never shut down, maybe your one was a lemon?

The bottom-line is, for the price, the F80 it`s the big bargain of that class of machines.

Cheers

André

11. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not mentioned so far is Lens compatiblity.
    With the F80 you loose lightmetering with non AF lenses i.e. AIS and AI.
    F100 is compatible with non AF- as well as G-lenses
    F90X is not compatible with G-lenses, at least not in M and A modes.
    I use 28mm AIS and 180mm AIS on my F90X and the only drawback is I have centerweighed and spot metering only but since I use spot 95% anyway its no problem.
    How does the viewfinder compare ?
    Do you like your camera light or a bit more heavy (rare, medium or welldone :smile: )
    Søren

12. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ironically, I just bought my first prime for it and a haven't used it yet... Good to know.

13. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You can turn this feature off, through the menu.