Nikon N90s

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Chan Tran, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Someone locally on craiglist offers a 90s body with the battery grip for $40. I am not familiar with this camera what do you think? Is it a good camera?

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on condition, but if it's in good nick, an N90s/F90x for $40 with an MB-11 is a great deal.

3. whlogan

whlogan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The best. I got one Keh for $39 and I love it. I use a 85mm f 1.8 and ut is super. The autofocus is very, very fast, reported to be the same as tge f100 which is really good. Get it!!!
    Logan

4. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon N90s/F90x is a great camera. I own 2 one with battery grip. Fast AF, accurate spot meter, good battery life, good fps if you need it.

No AF point selection, it has two modes wide and narrow.
    Backdoor's rubber coating gets sticky and flakes off in time. You can find lots of info on it on the internet.
    It has limitations with Nikon G lenses I suppose. No M mode if I recall correctly.

I would only consider giving it up, if I find a very very good bargain for F100 (because it is much modern equal tech), otherwise it is very good at what it does and I don't feel the need to upgrade.

(AF speed with 85mm F1.8 is truly very fast)

5. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll join those lauding the N90. It was my go to in 35mm. I recently picked up an F100 with many extras for a good price. I occasionally carry both, one loaded with color the other with b/w or same film one ISO 100, the other 400. The cameras are fairly similar in function.

6. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The N90 or the F90 in UK can look very rough due to the covering on the back which is a sort of synthetic rubber peeling of giving it a scabby appearance. Take no notice of this because it is not a sign of rough handling or heavy usage. It is one of Nikon's not so good ideas. The AF is noisy compared to later cameras, but the build quality is good. The meter is good and so is the handling.

7. one90guy

one90guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have also had and used the N90's and had good results with them. I sold both of mine for more than $40 some years ago. I would pay that for a good working one.

David

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The camera was the most advanced until the F5 was introduced. With a variety of auto modes + manual.
    There's a decent writeup on Mir.com

9. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a pretty heavy camera. But then again, all autofocus computer cameras are!

10. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have 2 N90's with battery grips. they are awesome. I had a thread on here recently comparing the N90 with the F100 and there were few differences of value to me.

11. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To the OP:
    have a look at my signature. Yeap, I have 4 F90X! All are in excellent condition and no rubber peeling or nothing like that. Just a bit of TLC from time to time and the F90X is a beauty to operate!
    Looking at the features between the F100 and the F90X, one might think they are loosing Custom Functions and few other things. Now, here is a little secret of the F90X: it has custom functions and even has a memory to store shooting data. All you need is a cable and a PC to read the camera's memory. The software is freely available from SofTalk, but the cable isn't! There are instructions on the net to make one though. Search for it and you'll find it, even if it is in French!
    See: http://www.cocoon-creations.com/COCOON-NiCommHarTALK.shtml

12. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a couple of N90S's and the only reason I parted with them was that I am lowering the camera count. There are a few N90s around that don't have the rubber coming off the film door. Not a big deal as if your going to use it who cares. The cost of a N90 is continuing to fall, so don't expect to buy for $40 and sell for $100. Of course, they are priceless as a good, solid fuctional camera. I loved using the two or three I had. Very solidly built tank of a camera. Get it for $40, you won't be dissappointed.

For more fun, get the rediculously light but fully modern N75. I even used some of my "G" lens on mine and had a blast with them (again, why have one when you can have two or more)....

Bob E.

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out the condition of the camera. You might not able to return it.

Jeff

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    funky ergonomics, but great results. it has one of the best fill flash capabilities I've ever used, even better than my F5. solid and heavy. again, all that matters in a case like this is the results and the F90s results are fantastic.

16. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone! I contacted the seller but no response yet! Of course I will have to check it out carefully. I hope it's still available for it seems a good camera.

17. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I LOVED my N75; in my opinion, it's even better than the N80. To this day the N75 is the only modern camera on which I actually learned how the damned multiple autofocus sensors worked and was able to use them properly. I also love how the film winds all the way to the end after you load it and then unwinds as you shoot.

Unfortunately, I dropped my N75 out of a truck (I thought the shoulder strap was on but it wasn't) and then took it apart. You can get the camera wet because everything is plastic, even the pentaprism and the wind/rewind gears!

I've not used the N90, but I've heard one should avoid the non-s version, is there any merit to that?

18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F90X in markets other than America. I'd make a go for it; it was once the chosen tool among rock climbers here in Australia running Velvia through for publication in outdoor magazines (they've all gone digital now!). Saw many a battered, scraped, scratched, crunched and crinkled example with pricey ultra-wide glass on the front. I wouldn't call it funky or even retro, but a workhorse. As with anything, I'd get it thoroughly checked out if possible before purchase (that means buy in a store, not necessarily online). It helps to know the camera's history; after all, you are likely buying another person's problems...

19. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not exactly. The original F90/N90 is 95% or more of the updated F90X/N90S (sincerely I don't know why Nikon USA had to give it another name!)
    The F90X is an update: the AF motor was beefed up, accuracy and speed improved. The shutter speeds can now be selected in 1/3 increments, the beep position on the ON/OFF switch disappears (can still be selected using the PC software), the data memory (only usable with the PC connection) was enlarged, the 2 shots self-timer setting is gone and the motor drive speed is improved. One other change, and important for outdoor photography, is the improved weather seals. And finally, the power grip was added to the accessory list. The F90 can use the MB-10, but the vertical shutter button can't be used as the F90 lacks the contacts for it.
    There are other minor changes within the PS programs, the display and the PC software has a few more options dedicated to the F90X.

20. John Bragg

John Bragg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have just bought one recently and it is an amazing camera for the money. Variants of it have even been used by NASA.

21. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's because it only weighs 20 pounds in space. :smile:

22. John Bragg

John Bragg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Exactly !:laugh:

23. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one and a couple AF lens, but I always use a F3 or EL2. Good dependable camera though.

Mike

24. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

I wish I had an F3. Of the Nikons I have, while I love my N90s's, my all time favorite is the EL2. I have three of them

25. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The rubber-back issue isn't really a dealbreaker - since just about any old N90 will have that (unless they replaced the back under warranty??)

The stuff comes off pretty easily (and it's clear, not black. Removing it leaves the black paint in place - you will lose the white program icons though).

I just took 99% isopropyl and some strips of plastic food wrap. Drip some on, and lay the plastic on to keep the alcohol from evaporating. Let is soak in, then scrub with a rough cloth. After several rounds of this, it will be gone in the areas with the most wear, and no longer sticky - just sort of a translucent matte finish - everywhere else.

I left it at that, but you can likely get it all off.

Other have used various chemicals, acetone, etc - I didn't want to remove the black paint or damage any plastic parts though.

I bought my N90s new ages ago - it still functions like new, and it was my main fashion shooter for years - lots of rolls run through it. Workhorse is the word.

26. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I replaced my F90's back under warranty, then put it in my MF-26's box and never used it.

I ended up selling it because I found a cheap F90x - but I forget if I put the F90x's back on the F90, or put the brand new replacement back instead.