Nikon Questions

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Bighead, May 31, 2005.

1. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I need to upgrade from the N80, leaving it in the bag for a backup.... What upgrade to the N80, will accept my two G lenses? I know a N90 will not.. What about a used F100 or (god forbid) a F4 or F5???

Anyone have any recommendations.... I use this for weddings and portraits but I must say, I am really into MF now, so now it will probably be just for weddings...

I'd go with another N80 but I have not been happy with the AF system.... Maybe I need to go with an N90, with a portrait lens... I don't know.

2. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for this chart. Looking through it I just realized that I can use my G lenses with the F4 in the P ot S mode.

Have been using the M or A modes for so long that the option never crossed my mind.

:D Verry happy now. 2 extra lenses for the film camera. 2 less for the d... camera.

4. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why do you need to upgrade? Which features are you lacking in the N80?
    Based on those questions you could find yourself which camera will suit your photography best.
    Look at the BODY COMPARISON CHART for ideas.
    Also check the compatibility issues of your lenses.
    G lenses nee to be controlled from the camera body, so a F100 should be the next upgrade. But if you want a pro camera get an F5

PS. IIRC N90 predates N80

5. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So get an F5.

6. rexp

rexp Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am certainly a novice when it comes to Nikon, but I did pick up an F4 on eBay. For $350 I couldn't pass it up. My Olympus lenses are suscumbing to sticky apertures, and I figured I should shift gears to a model where I can still buy new lenses. My jaw hit the table when I saw the going prices for an F4. HOWEVER, I will still keep my trusty Koni properly exercised. Hard to give up the film size. Discovering the range of lenses available for a Nikon is mind boggling, coming from a system that offers 4 lenses.

7. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try an F4. The AF isn't so brilliant, but then again you say you're going to use mainly MF. What I liked about my old F4 was the fact it could be used with an ordinary (and cheap) cable release. BLIGHTY

8. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I feel so unworthy....Still using my trusty old Nikkormat FTN and pre-AI lenses.

9. mooch

mooch Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is the AF system too slow? In that case, the F5 will be better and you will have excellent metering should you decide to point and shoot. Moving from an F4 to the N80 (back-up) in a hurry will not be as efficient as with an F5, especially if you have to switch from setting the aperture with the rear command-dial to setting it via shutter-priority (as G lenses don't work fully on the F4). The N80 will work as a lightweight F5 should you get any more of the G lenses in future, and it won't eat as many batteries. I would get the F4 only if you love manual focus lenses.
    Jonathan.

10. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The only thing I really feel it is lacking in, is in its AF system... It uses one of those stupid lights to help focus. One, its slow focusing and two, people see it coming and react to it... My friends N90S doesn't use a light and it is quick to focus... Lots of wedding receptions are dark. Even Manual focus is tough...

Thats a lot of green...

Its a lot to weigh... I may go with an F4 or N90 and just not count on being able to use the G lenses on anything other than the N80.

I do want to shoot primarily MF, in the future... But for dinners, receptions and some of the cerimony I think 35mm is just to quick and easy. Since Most of these prints never make it bigger than 4x6, not really an issue...

Thanks everyone.....

11. mark

mark Member

I always thought upgrade camera equipment meant going for a bigger negative. Was I wrong? :wink:

Go with the N90.

12. r-brian

r-brian Member

Bighead

I think you really need to think thru the issue of using the G lenses in the first place. I haven't followed the development of the Nikon G lenses but the ones I've seen seems to be consumer grade lenses. I you are doing weddings and other pro jobs, you need to look into pro F2.8 lenses. The F2.8 lenses will focus faster especially in dim light. I am a long time N90s user but if I am looking for an upgrade I'd look at the F100. Of course, I'm kinda surprised that you're not looking at digital for weddings. That seems to be the direction most wedding pros are going.

Brian

13. PieterB

PieterB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Use a faster lens (as mentioned above)
    Is it not possible to disable the focusing light with one of the N80 custom settings?

14. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon is starting down the path of making pro level G lenses. I think that you would most likely want to look at the F5 or F100 in order to be able to take advantage of that trend. It's not a trend that I am happy with, but it is there so being able to use your current lenses and future pro offerings from Nikon to their fullest would seem like a good idea. BTW, KEH, an AUG sponsor, has F5 bodies starting at about $550 in bargain condition. Only about $100 more than an F100 in Bargain.

15. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't suggest going for the F5. Too many incompatibilities with older lenses (the F4 offers 99% compatibility).

However as pointed out the AF, being first generation, is too slow by todays standards (that however never stopped me from doing some sports photography) and you need to get used to it. If you use manual focus then the focus confirmation light (green light in the viewfinder) is a good tool to help you when in doubt about proper focus.

16. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are consumer grade. They are slower and are all plastic... They are still Nikon glass though and a lot lighter... And to answer the digital question, I have considered the possibility of digital while also shooting MF B&W... Kind of the best of both worlds.. But, I shoot with another photographer during weddings. She shoots all the color and I shoot B&W... So, until that partnership changes, I get to use my beloved film.. Also, I'm banking on picking up the niche market of people that still respect film and are interested in photographers and not "shooters".... Many people like the idea of a 11X14, fiber print, hand made and mounted by the photographer..

If I couldn't in the wedding market not using digital, I would probably just give up weddings in general... I like the extra cash but I am not trying to feed my family with it.......

17. gchpaco

gchpaco Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The upgrade path in Nikon's system from an N80 is an F100 or an F5 or an F6. Anything less is going to present compatibility issues with your G lenses. I have an F100, and it's very nice, AF is good even in low light.

18. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you everyone.. I think the F100 is the logical leap.... I can grab a body only and use my existing lenses and save up for the one nice lens... Hopefully a VR 2.8 of some kind...