Nikon To Discontinue Most Film Cameras and Related Accessories

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Dave Parker, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmm... also seems to apply to film cameras, except the F6 and FM10. Buy them while you can.

3. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't say it comes as any surprise. I thought Nikon had ended manufacturing of LF lenses a few years ago. Is Schnieder and Cooke the only ones left mfg new lenses?

Not to worry though. There are thousands of LF lenses out there and I would imagine quite a few that were purchased in the last few years that have seen little or no use on a camera. Many, many more lenses then the current or future number of LF shooters could ever need.

4. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Is Fuji still manufacturing LF lenses?

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good thing I have standardized on Schnieder lenses then.

6. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The best place to drool over new lf lenses is http://www.badgergraphic.com

7. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't beleive Fuji or Rodenstock still make new lenses. I think anything retailed as new is old stock. It can take quite awhile to sell off these lenses. B&H was listing new G-Clarons 3 years after Schnieder quit making them. With all the quality used lenses out there it can take quite awhile to sell a new 355 G-Claron for $1000 when they show up quite often on Ebay for around $600.

I could be wrong about fuji and rodenstock. Hope I am!

8. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting that so far no news service has picked this up (I searched for Nikon on Google news).

Matt

9. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

10. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

I wonder if Nikon, USA will even consider it worth mentioning...

11. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Considering the vast multitude of large format lenses out there (eBay currently has 241 listings for such lenses) I can't really see this as much of a surprise or affecting too much.

12. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So let me see... I have no darkroom but own a 5x7" enlarger with Schneider Symmar 210mm, Schneider Componar 105mm and a Schneider Componon 150mm... I have a 90mm Super Angulon and 210mm Apo Symmar for my view camera....

Ok, I'm set. Sayonara Nikon!
    Still, a sad day, until my F4 goes on Ebay!

13. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It really is a non-issue. Many LF shooters swear by lenses that have not been mfg for 50-60 years and many others use older lenses. I would imagine with modern coatings, assembly and adheisves used over the last 20 years, many of these lenses if well cared for could be in use easily over 100 years from now.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last year I checked on a 120mm Makro and the local dealer showed Nikon listing several LF lenses as "Limited to stock on hand" so I think they stoped some time ago and are just selling off remaining inventory. If you want new or near new buy now, this is not a big thing with the surpluss of lenses and the low prices making this a great time to find lenses. Besides a good lens is a lifetime investment if cared for. My only long term concern is the future of shutter springs.

16. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fotography part of Rodenstock was bought by Linos and at the very least they make the impression that they continue manufacturing.

17. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    egad! What's this world coming to? What's next? I suppose they'll stop making the crown graphic soon.

18. ReallyBigCameras

ReallyBigCameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Rodenstock announced a new lens for roll film LF shooters (100mm APO Sironar-S) at Photokina in Sept. 2004. So, they must be still making something (at least fairly recently). They have discontinued a number of their LF products over the last several years (first the APO Sironar-W line, then the APO Ronars and more recently most of the APO Sironar-N line and the longer focal lengths in the Grandagon-N series). It seems like they have trimmed back their product line to the best sellers in the most popular focal lengths and price points. But since they are still putting at least some R&D effort into new lenses for film shooters (of course, that one lens was their first new product for film users in a decade), they don't seem to have totally abandoned the market.

Too bad about Nikon. I've used a lot of their LF lenses over the years and even though their designs were pushing 25 years old, they still had some outstanding products that were very competive (the entire M series and the 90mm f8, 120mm f8 and 150mm 8 SW, etc.). Glad I got my 200M, 300M and 450M when I did.

Kerry

19. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I first saw this news earlier today I was a bit saddened by the loss of the 35mm lenses more than anything else, until I realized two things:

1. Zeiss is about to start selling F mount lenses.
    2. I haven't bought a new Nikkor in over 20 years.

The only LF Nikkor that I use is a 480mm f/9 process lens, and I have all of the Nikkor enlarging lenses that I need. With minimal care my Nikon glass should outlast me...so no worries.

20. mark

mark Member

Hot damn, Maybe poeple will be so pissed they will sell theirs cheap and I will be able to buy one. Nah. Too much to wish for.

I am not surprised.

21. kunihiko

kunihiko Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought my New F-1 in new and cheap when canon ceased its production. It was a big bargain.
    So please Mr.Nikon !
    I don't care about nikon cameras, but EL-Nikkors.

22. mejiro

mejiro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  23. Robert Kerwin

Robert Kerwin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, before long we'll start seeing auctions on eBay like "Rare Nikon FM3a!!" with starting bids of $2999.99. :D

But seriously, I was hoping the FM3a and the F100 would be around for a couple years more. I've been re-thinking my approach to 35mm and am considering putting together a nice manual-focus system with prime lenses to complement my F100; the FM3a (though a bit pricey) would be a serious contender. But I'm not ready to move on this right now, maybe this summer/fall. I'll just have to see what things look like then...

- Robert

24. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Out of curiosity, I just checked on the launch of the Nikon F6. This was in September 2004. For Nikon to announce the cessation of production of film cameras just 16 months later suggests to me that the company has (uncharacteristically) been caught napping by market developments.

25. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, not quite. They are keeping the F6, presumably thinking that is enough to cover the market. Although it is a pretty big range gap between an F6 and an FM10!

Any ways... FOR SALE - like new F4 - Will throw in equally useless roll of Technical Pan and free delivery worldwide... $4000. :tongue:

26. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Although I only have one Nikkor lens... a 135mm 5.6, it's a sad day when any of the remaining suppliers pull the plug. I like their glass and it's unfortunate that they have stopped selling them.
    Although I doubt they were selling many... they haven't imported them into Canada for a while.
    -Rob Skeoch