Nikon users, take note

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mainecoonmaniac, May 1, 2013.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Informative, thanks for sharing this link

3. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I'm guilty of watching for cameras in movies... have been for a long time. "Blow Up" was very influential for me being about 20 when I saw it. I already had a Nikon F plain prism, but I wanted his shirt too. Would be my official street shooting shirt. Stupid, right. But, I still have the camera, but not the shirt. (which is a good thing I guess)
    I enjoy seeing what kind of cameras are used in movies, but as a photographer, how accurately they are used. Too many times it's just a prop, with no knowledge of how it even operates. And it always seems that certain cameras are used for certain character types. War, documentary, and press photogs seem to get Nikons. Artists, serious students, and other creative types seem to get Leicas. One exception, John Waters film, "Pecker" the story of a young poor photographer in Baltimore, uses a Canonet 28. This was one of the best and funniest films I've ever seen about photography, and the business of art photography.
    Another fave for me was "We'll Take Manhattan", the supposed story of British photographer, David Bailey and model Jean Shrimpton. The actor Aneurin Barnard seemed to handle the Pentax Sv quite realistically. I read later that he indeed did learn how to use the camera during the filming, and even loaded the camera with film and took pictures during the filming that everyone was unaware of. I don't know how true this is but it sounds like fun. (actually sounds a little like Jeff Bridges)
    I just hope that cameras used in future movies are considered more than just props, but as tools that should be handled properly to be believable, even if everyone watching doesn't have any camera knowledge.

4. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, not "Brewster McCloud"?

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So what camera Pecker was using in John Waters' film?

6. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's been awhile, but if memory serves, it was a Canon "Canonet 28". It looks like the later Canonets but this has an f2.8 lens, and auto exposure only.
    Do I have one? Yup! (somewhere)

7. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    City of God is one of my favorite movies ever. I always get out my 135/3.5 when I watch it, as the main character uses that lens during the film's climax.

8. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, here's another one to figure out. John Wayne in the 1974 movie, "McQ" is seen sitting in a car (Firebird?) with a Nikon F taking pictures. I always thought he had a Nikkor 80-200mm zoom on the camera, but I just checked out a photo on ebay, and it doesn't look like the Nikon lens to me. It looks more like a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 zoom. But I don't think these were made until after 1975. I can't find any other photos like this to see if there were more than one promo photo. And what lens is that anyway?
    This comment is based on the premise that you don't have anything better to do than worry about movie trivia. Sorry

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    sadly most of those movies are 20-30 years ago haha, in the industry (movie industry) you'll see more Canon products, especially now that they use the Canon's to FILM the movies :smile:

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I watched Under Fire again a few days ago and Nick Nolte really handles his Nikon gear convincingly like a pro, David Hemmings in Blow Up is a lot less convincing, but the part was originally offered to David Bailey by Michelangelo Antonioni the director, but Bailey although he would have liked to do it had to refused it because he's dyslectic and would have had terrible trouble learning the lines.

11. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Canonet.

Jim B.

12. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good work! That movie is hilarious. I'm gonna have to look for a 1971 Canonet 28 with 40/2.8 lens on eBay. But not a Nikon!

14. pschauss

pschauss Member

I tried keeping my Aires 35 III L in my glove compartment the way he did in the movie and ended up having to pay for having the grease cleaned off of the shutter blades. I learned a valuable lesson about keeping a camera in a hot car.

15. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great link, very entertaining.

16. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Re: "Bridges of Madison County", the real eye-candy are the Nikon RF cameras he uses and leaves behind -- Cameraquest discusses those, too. To the list I'd add Jack Nicholson in "Chinatown" using a screw-mount Leica to take surveillance photos of Faye Dunaway's sister/daughter. And in terms of classic Japanese cameras, "Mothra" has all sorts of newspaper photogs waving around some interesting cameras.

17. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I hate to double-post, but -- through sheer synchronisity, I was flipping through movie channels and hit Ghostbusters II at exactly the moment Bill Murray whips out a Brooks Veriwide and starts taking picture after picture -- unfortunately, without ever advancing the film. I guess the prop guys chose a Veriwide because it fit with the Ghostbusters aesthetic.

18. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That happens a lot, most prop guys don't seem to know how cameras work, I see it a lot on set

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

19. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367711734.088090.jpg

Dream combination!

20. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What movie is that from?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

21. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh no, way to spoil the ending! Next thing you're going to tell us is that Rosebud is a sled! :cool:

Regarding Ms. Scarlet Jo, I thought that was her personal camera?

22. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meh! I don't know if this picture is from a movie or is just her out taking pictures. It just seems so predictable. Pretty, trendy woman with an high end camera. I like Scarjo ok, she's a fine actor, and sure, whatever Leica she is carrying is I'm sure a great camera, but this photo would have so much more impact for me if she was carrying a Leica IIIf maybe, or a Nikon F, or whatever vintage camera you'd like to see her with. Then you would know for sure she's using FILM!
    Would be so much more, well, sexy! or at least more interesting.
    Just my opinion.