Nikon-zoom problem

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Blighty, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fellow Apuggers,
    My Nikon 20~35 f2.8 zoom has developed a problem. Just to familiarise you with this lens; it employs a manual/autofocus button on the lens. Once AF has been selected on the camera body, AF can be engaged/disengaged on the lens as necessary. Whilst using AF, the focus ring rotates freely. Trouble is, after using AF and returning the lens to manual , the focus ring doesn't 'pick-up' the focus gear inside and continues to rotate freely. After turning the focus ring for some time - first one way and then the other - it will eventually re-engage, but it seems to be getting worse and taking longer each time I use it. Curiously, it seems to be more troublesome when it's cold. Any thoughts? Many thanks, B.

2. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I just realised I shoud have posted this on the repair, cam mod bit.

3. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It sounds like a lubrication problem, hopefully, than just a CLA will do the trick.
    As grease (and oil) gets older it becomes more sticky.
    When you put your lens into AF it dis-enganges the connection between the ring and the real focussing mechanism.
    When you put it into MF again it should engage quickly again.

Peter

4. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree, send it to service, it's not a big problem. I had a similar problem with a nikkor zoom but it seems a plastic part was the culprit. Darn plastics! It makes lenses lighter, all right, but they are so annoying...
    :mad: