Nned help with a couple of SX70 Alphas

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by trythis, Mar 10, 2014.

1. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have two of these and they are both exhibiting the same behavior.

Here is what happens:
    Insert cartridge, close the door, and the shutter closes.
    I manually run the gears a bit and run a full cycle. Sometimes it catches and will complete a normal cycle clunk (mirror), whir clickthunk and goes back to the proper start position.

At this point, the shutter is open, the mirror is up and I can see through the lens.

After that, when I press the button and the shutter closes until I let go, much like the B shutter setting on many cameras. But that's all it does.

Both cameras respond the same way which makes me think there is something wrong with my battery setup.

I am using cells from a 9 volt battery to power the cameras. (5 AAAA cells generate 7 volts, using 4 to get 6V was not enough to get any response because they came out just under 6v.)

I dont have an empty film holer witha good battery, so I had to make something and I dont wanna blow $20+ on dead cameras.

Any help or advice would be wonderful.

2. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You have film in it? According to the specs, the film pack has a 6V battery that is needed to power the camera's electronics. I can't figure out from your post exactly what is going on there. I have had cameras that required certain batteries and simply substituting different ones to get the right voltage wouldn't work, they needed the called-for battery to get the correct amperage too.

3. peteyj10

peteyj10 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're going to need a proper film pack/battery combination to properly test that camera. There's probably someone here who can ship you an empty film pack with a working battery. Heck, I probably have an empty Impossible pack somewhere in my apartment, but that might take a day of cleaning to find.

4. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think you guys might be right about the film packs, I just dont have any and don't know anyone that has a polaroid to get a pack from.

I think it may be that my taped together battery is just not getting enough conductivity to pull the amps through.

5. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll get those packs sent to you this week. Wait till you get the packs before pulling the cameras apart.

6. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That would be awesome, I just hope I haven't burned anything up at 7 volts.