no camera needed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by jnanian, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what did you see today that you didn't photograph, even if you had a camera?

i was at a stop light, power lines climbed a hill, towers looking like cactus,
    rocks, trees and dirt, an affliction of starling flying in formation,
    nearly invisible as they turned.

i had a camera with me, film in it as well but i was caught in the moment,
    mesmerized by the affliction, until i was honked at.

2. cahayapemburu

cahayapemburu Restricted Access

Shooter:
    35mm
    The daily throng of Ojeks, two, three and four passengers deep, protected from the rain by plastic rubbish bags, raincoats worn backwards, and umbrellas, snatching order from the chaos just in time to cheat death. The miracle is in the motion.

3. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A bunch of crows flying over a building with their undersides lit up against the dark sky by the flood lights around the parking lot. A rather eerie sight with that many crows - about 50 or so.

gene

4. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Getting back to Tucson last night, today I encountered a near soldier line of saguaros marching up the hillside amidst mesquite trees, rocks, dirt seeming to mimic power lines.

5. wheelygirl

wheelygirl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome back, to AZ, George!! WG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  6. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Walking thru my property today, the leaves are changing colors now (here they go from green to brown--nothing fancy). A strong wind came and I was gently showered with falling leaves. It just felt rather magical.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i was doing the dishes this morning, and there was a blizzard of leaves mixed
    with steam from the clothes dryer ...

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Remembrance Day service at the nearby War Memorial.

9. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Marines at the bar at 12:01am (that counts as today right) in dress uniforms celebrating a birthday.

10. Troy

Troy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it is the Marine Corps birthday itself.

11. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One of the bigger trees on my street lost nearly all it's leaves this morning. The grass, sidewalk and one car were totally covered with browns, greens and yellows. I had to stop and gawk....

Kathy

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    8 wild turkeys running away
    and some flying onto a neighbor's roof
    after being scared by a silly person.

13. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    The clouds have been all over the place yesterday and today. I know I could knock my own sox off if I just had some Velvia, E100VS or Fortia. I got some photos after work, but nothing spectacular I don't think :^\

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    A tall, young woman with black, purple and blue hair, all awry, dressed in a black Goth full length dress with back boddice-like lacing walking up 3rd Avenue pushing an empty hand cart during this morning's rush hour.

16. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The one that sticks out most in my mind wasn't today. It was about four years ago. Got back from shooting a wedding. Went into town without my camera to get some milk and a paper and a block of downtown Milford was ablaze. Smoke streaming up. Flames licking the sky. Fireman on a boom with a hose flushing into the flames as if something out of BACKDRAFT.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  17. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A large sycamore tree early this morning lit on the east side with dark clouds low on the horizon behind it. There was a stark difference in contrast between the white bark of the tree and the low values of the morning clouds, and there was an old farm house adjacent to the tree also nicely bathed in the early mornig light. I slowed down to a creep along the road to gaze at it and the memory of it is still in my mind.

18. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The waning light across my snow-filled backyard... there is a reason they call this the golden hour.

19. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Pappa, why is my shadow blue?".........

20. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    across the street from the local grocery store is what used to be a strip mall, all torn down
    ground graded, foundations put in and scaffolding put up where the back
    walls will be for one of the buildings being built.

for 2 days the scaffolding had white plastic draped, and concete cinderblocks on boards
    all the way across. i just stared at the plastic, concrete, metal and wood sculpture,
    as it glowed in the sun and in the breeze the plastic danced.

21. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not today, but a couple of weeks ago there was a decent snowstorm. I was driving to a customer's place, and noticed in one mall parking lot the white-painted light poles merged into the falling snow, except for the black-bordered bulb(?) holders themselves near the top.

Looked interesting, and I had a camera with me, but due to the snow the traffic was heavy, I was already late, and I don't think I could have gotten out of the parking lot easily if I got into it :sad:

22. bruce terry

bruce terry Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    'Seen and not taken today' moments never seem to leave. The ones long past are as memorable as one from yesterday. I guess the single 'unpicture' I treasure most is from 12 years ago, down at Little Farmer's Cay in the Exumas:

Hiking the island under a late afternoon sun, my wife and I come upon a tiny, brilliant-white beach tightly framed with stunning, gnarly trees. The glassy water off the beach shines diamond-green, the whole seascape twinkling from thin, concentric ripples pumping out from an anchored skiff where a big, red-shirted man crouches midships, working over a tall, yellow pile of conch. A barebacked youngster leans over the bow, surveying the bottom through an old, slatty-sided glass-bottomed, wooden bucket. Standing in waist-high water aside the bright-blue lapstrake hull is a very fit, very wet, very black Bahamian hoisting conch up over the gunwale into the boat. His muscles ripple and gleam in the sun as only dark skin can, and for an instant the three of them and the boat are set in perfect Degas-like juxtaposition – a color photograph to die for had I my F2 stowed back on the boat.

Wonderful how the mind can store such pictures.

23. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    about 100 canadian geese flying in formation
    3 v's flying fast

24. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pink cumulus beneath a nearly setting sun on the way home. Great 'silver lining' detail. It was absolutely beautiful.

25. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today...the most amazing cloud formations in the sky due to the incredibly strong winds we've been experiencing over the past few days. Could have blown a whole roll on some amazingly abstract clouds that I think began life as contrails. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me.

However, there are two shots that did not get away (as I did have my camera with me) but that I didn't take (love the idea of 'unpictures'), and that I still think about to this day. The first was four years ago while I was living in Japan. I was on the train, going home after a trip, and across the aisle were an elderly woman and a teenager, sitting in facing seats towards each other. The woman was old, severly bent over as many elderly Japanese are (especially in the countryside) and wearing a kimono or yukata. The teenage was very heavily made up in goth style, with a very black flouncy skirt, black boots, stockings, etc. It was a great contrast in age and Japanese fashion...but I couldn't take a shot because I felt too insecure to invade their privacy in such a way (although I don't think I would have that problem today....)

The other time was over a year ago, in Paris, walking down Rue Rivoli and passing a place that made crepes. There was a bit of line to get something warm and sweet (nutella crepes are great!) and just the image of the crepe-maker standing over the griddle and being envelopped by steam (lit by amazing side-lignting as well) is one I'll not likely forget. I don't know why I didn't try to take a picture then, and am still kicking myself about it now. Of course, I've been to Paris many times since then, and have walked by that same location, but the weather and the people and the light have never been the same (it never is) as it was that November.

26. mark

mark Member

The seventh and eighth graders going to lunch as viewed from the second floor.