no new 135 SLR cameras, ever?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by rhmimac, May 16, 2010.

1. rhmimac

rhmimac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After listening to an interview with PE on
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com/
    it's clear to me film is not dead at all, but maybe put in a niche market.
    And because a niche market is only to survive by having new cameras introduced, the following question appeared to me:
    what do you think will be the chance a big camera brand will ever put a 135 film SLR back on the market?

rhmimac

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon still sell the FM10, and the F6 may be still be available new. I'll make a prediction here that a new medium format SLR system will be available within the next 5 years.

Tom

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon still make the EOS 1V, Nikon Still Make The F6.

4. Ap507b

Ap507b Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Vivitar released one around a year ago (OK, I agree that Vivitar isn't one of the big makers, that their reputation has gone down a long way since their Series 1 days & have to say that the last Vivitar lens that I had, a 500mm mirror, was awful beyond belief)

Here is a link to a review: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/18/hands-on-vivitar-v3800n-35mm-manual-film-slr/

Not cutting edge, but it certainly looks to give the FM10 a run for its money. They must think that there is a market for new 35mm SLR's to bring it out, so maybe one of the big makers will think so again one day?

5. Keith H

Keith H Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perhaps not Nikon or Canon, Cosina more likely but look to China for a range of low cost 35mm SLRs and as China catches the manual focus 35mm / RF bug I suspect higher quality SLRs or RF cameras will follow.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The question is not will "a big camera brand will ever put a 135 film SLR back on the market?" because some are selling new 35mm cameras.

Rather the question should be will and when will "a big camera brand will ever put a new or redesigned 135 film SLR on the market?"

Steve

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As time goes on, I think that we should be far more concerned about being able to find people who really know how repair the old ones than whether or not there will be any new ones.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We got a new 120 format 'folder.' I would not have predicted that. I suspect it will depend on the prospect of hoards of Asian kids and students embracing the 35mm SLR and a Japanese or Chinese company catering to that.

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as there are photographers around that know how to use cameras that are over twenty five years of age, the niche will continue to thrive. Those cameras will be around for a long time to come.

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I hesitate to say "never," but I think "for the time being" is likely.

I didn't think that I'd ever see vinyl back in production, but there they were: New pressings of 12-inch 33 1/3 rpm albums for sale at Barnes & Noble.

Regardless, it's all about profit. If the camera makers don't see a profit, then they won't make it. If you make a product that no one buys, you don't say in business.

It's the downside and the reality of digital. And if you ask the average digital user, they'll say that they don't miss film.

11. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's because a vast majority of them never truly 'KNEW' film to begin with.

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon, but I geuss that could change in the future when people decide to go back to film. Medium format and large format could see new models coming out.

Jeff

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why the need for "new ones"!?
    What's wrong with the ones we have??
    Why should it be necessary to release new SLRs to attract people to film photography?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree.

Jeff

16. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well said. It would give the warm and fuzzies to one to see new film gear being produced on a grand scale. However, it is rather far-fetched that it will happen. You know, progress and all.

17. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, the timing claims on this are a bit off -- although it could be that Vivitar waited a while before introducing it in some markets. I bought a used Vivitar V3800N in 2005. It was in excellent condition when I bought it, and I don't know how old it was -- it could be the original purchaser just kept it for a month and then put it up on eBay. I didn't get most of the extras mentioned in the review -- just the camera, 50mm lens, and strap. I'm satisfied with the camera -- but I own several others with varying feature sets, so if I want a motor drive or auto exposure or a bigger format I've got other options.

18. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the Vivitar V3800N has been around for the better part of a decade. Caught that but forgot to point it out.

19. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why do you believe film will die if new equipment is not released? There's so much used equipment out there. I'm sure in 50 years if all of it suddenly breaks we might see new stuff though.

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Already the still digital camera are beginning to be eclipsed by digital video cameras. Both Canon and Nikon have several dual purpose cameras that shoot both. The digital cameras of recent past will be cast aside for the latest digital video cameras.

Steve

21. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And they won't have the following that press cameras have 70 years later either.

22. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look at the old black powder pistol market. There's a small but thriving business of a once giant - then passed by - market. With the compression of market cycles in the globally connected world it isn't unreasonable to hope that film will hold on to a strong niche for a long, long time. Clearly this what Ilford expects.

And if other rising consumer markets like China, India, Brazil, etc. do develop a consumer class like the USA, then there will be new film users. After all, it isn't odd to think that there are budding hobbyist in those markets.

Sure, film is relegated to a niche market for posterity because of the technological march, but let's say that 1 in 10K people stick with film as a serious hobby, and multiply that by a emerging middle class of billions, and that's a lot of Lucky film sold.

23. steelneck

steelneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is a rebranded Phenix DC828N as far as i can tell. Phenix is a chinese brand, it is really a very large large camera maker, though not so well known here in the west. A lot of their production in their numerous factories is probably parts and pieces as subcontractor for all the big brands.

The DC828N is a fully mechanical camera with Pentax-K mount. Another fully mechanical model is DN66 with Nikon mount. They have also a model with electromechanical shutter and aperture priority, the EK-180 AE, also with K-mount.

This is very cheap cameras, around 200 eur. But i have the impression that they are quite well built compared to the price. You get a lot of camera for the price.

I only have a link about Phenix cameras at a swedish dealer:
    http://www.photax.se/meny09/index09/indx09_system.htm

24. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, they still sell oils and acrylics, right?

25. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When they grow up to be smart; they will come. The future belongs to Medium Format SLR

26. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Never.

Nikon has two current models and Leica has two also. I assume neither company is making a lot of money on these cameras.
    It was a shame to see Nikon discontinue the FM3a as it is one of the best Nikon analog cameras ever produced.
    Nikon did produce a limited number of thier original rangefinder a few years ago but they had to reverse engineer the camera. I can't believe they made any money but the effort was more a labor of love. Leica tried to reverse engineer the M3 and produced the MP and an MP3 like varient of the current MP. The reason was consumer demand and disatisfaction with the M6 comparison with the M3. I think they made and are still making some money on sales of the MP. I do not forsee any new M analog cameras from Leica as the current MP and M7 appear to completely satisfy demand.-Dick