No! Please not Provia!

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jcc, Jul 21, 2013.

1. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there a replacement ISO400 slide film out there?

2. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. There is Agfa sold as Rollei 200, some of which seems to have a yellow cast and some not. To my knowledge that is the fastest slide film left after the Provia 400X is gone.

3. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So sad... I still long for BW positives.

4. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Provia?

Black-and-white sub-forum?

There are already threads in Product-availability and Colour . . .

5. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Surprised more people aren't panicked by this. Only 3 slide films left, all of which are too slow for anything but landscape work.

6. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    100 speed is not too slow for anything but landscape work as long as you are not using a cheap zoom lens. I shot lots of Kodachrome 64 for many subjects with fast primes.

7. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1. While I am certainly not happy to see the portfolio shrink, most of my color work over the past 30-odd years, has been shot on films of 25 and 64 ISO, sometimes using a tripod, often times not. The E400/ProviaX 400 and P1600 emulsions, while useful on more than a few occasions, have never been critical for most of my shooting. So while, I am regret the loss of the option...

8. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you looking for 35 or 120? I have a few rolls of 120 chromes for sale. And I'm just about to lower the price.

9. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Often 100 is enough but one extra stop is very handy and two more so. What's more, 400X seemed to me, when well exposed, to be less contrasty than P100. With Astia and E100G both gone I would sometimes use it for that reason alone. Great film. :sad:

10. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use Provia 100F pushed two stops. No big deal.

11. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can reverse B&W films successfully.

12. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I just ordered some Provia 400X, in 120 and 35mm, simply because I suddenly realized that it was the only remaining slide film rated beyond ISO 100. I don't know if I've been asleep or what, but somehow I had totally missed the fact that Kodak wasn't making slide film any longer. Obviously I knew that Kodachrome was long gone, but not that they'd stopped everything else.

Though I don't shoot a lot of slide film, sometimes I like to, and sometimes it's the absolute best way of determing the quality of a lens or camera, given that what comes out of the camera is what you evaluate -- no printing variables involved.

I guess I've had my head too much in B/W if I managed to miss all this....

13. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the UK (where Batwister is based) getting above 1/125, f2.8 with 100 speed film means it's a rare nice day.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Folks, PLEASE use your brains. Logic is the key here. Fujifilm Tokyo states, "due to decrease in world wide global demand and smaller production runs...."

Now come on! How does removing a film from North America improve ANYTHING with the above? It does not. In fact, it makes it MUCH MUCH worse since North America must be one of the largest film markets in the world. Cut out the North American market and Provia's demand will decrease even MORE and the production runs will get even smaller.

NOTE: Provia 400X and Neopan 400 did *NOT* get the new updated boxes. Coincidence? I think not.

16. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Except if you were pushing Provia 400X one or two stops. How's 100F going to help you there? Answer: It won't.

I pushed Provia 400X to ISO800 with very nice results. Far better than I would have expected.

17. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heh heh...

Yeah, I also recognize* that 5-stop reduction, heavy overcast, endlessly rainy days and weeks at a time for 10+ months out of every 12... exposure.

Ken

* Greater Seattle, Washington, USA region.

18. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed. I'm surprised the UK market isn't exclusively offered P3200TMZ and ISO1600 color films. Suicidal weather.

19. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Are you sure the asian markets don't use film more? They have TONS of cameras for sale I've heard, all the time piles of them buying and selling, I would guess (and it's not based on anything but speculation) that there's more sales there than here, they wouldn't just cancel here in the US if there weren't reasons.

I also think many of the users of slide films, had split between Kodak and Fuji, and when Kodak went out of the slide world, lots of people "stocked up" and so there wasn't much increase for fuji in the purchase of new fujichrome the way they would have expected, and by the time people run out of the kodak stuff, fuji had already gotten there projected numbers and they weren't showing what they had expected and pulled out too soon... sad...

20. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Provia 100F shot at 320 and pushed 2 stops looks pretty good. A slight shift to the red but not bad.

21. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Surely Provia 400 sold better than 100?

There's no way of assessing this on Flickr anymore however, due to the new design... :smile: i.e., can't compare page counts for 400 vs 100.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  22. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never said this.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You said that North America was probably the biggest user, so in essence you said the asian market didn't shot as much as North America...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I work in a lab, with dip and dunk E-6. I also participate in group film orders from B&H.

400X is one of the rarest films to come here for processing, and on group orders from B&H also. We get more Kodak E-6 still than 400X.

Same with Neopan 400 for B&W.

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I almost feel like its the nature of the type of film that beat it... Because you don't shoot models with it (as far as I understand its still more of a landscape film) so you usually have a tripod anyway, so why use a grainier (even if it wasn't bad) film when you can just use Velvia or Provia 100f?

That's probably why it didn't last, it was the application that killed it. If Astia had stuck around and there were an Astia400, that would probably have sold more as its good for skin tones (I'm told Astia was best for skin so in this example Astia400 would be good for skin too).

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

26. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a completely different point. The market for film is worldwide since Fujifilm produces their film in a single location. Even if Asia and North America were equal in film consumption (they might be), cutting off North America hurts the rest of the world because that one plant producing film now has that much less volume to make, creating even greater inefficiency.

There is no doubt in my mind that Provia 400X and Neopan 400 are gone world wide. That is the only logical explanation.