Nocon f-stop Timer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Richard Lee, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've recently become the proud owner of a Nocon enlarger timer but have been unable to get it to calculate/display + or - times in quarter stop increments separately from the base exposure. So far, any sequence of button pressing simply adds or subtracts to give a new total base time.

Nocon Timer2.jpg

I'm assuming it shouldn't be necessary to refer to the chart and enter burn/dodge times manually. I would be very grateful for any enlightenment, please.

Regards,

Richard

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unfortunately the man who thought this device up has passed away, although there may be someone out there with instructions.

There is another way that you may possibly get what you are looking for. There is a company called RH Designs in UK, website www.rhdesigns.co.uk.

The owner, Dr Richard Ross designed and makes one very similar so if you make contact via E mail he may be able to help. He is on the point of retirement and has sold the rights to another company but as far as I know he is still open for business - just.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd be surprised if someone here doesn't have one with instructions but failing that try Butkus who seems to have instructions for almost everything

pentaxuser

4. wiedzmin

wiedzmin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry I can not help but can you upload more pictures of it? I always wanted to see it.

5. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for your input. I will certainly follow-up these two leads.

Incidentally, the manufacturer Bowens, claim they have no record of this item - much less, a set of instructions! :confused:

Regards,

Richard

6. Stephen Weston

Stephen Weston Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Richard

I have a set of instructions for the model you have. I will scan them in tomorrow and try and upload or email to you. If I understand correctly. If, for example, your base exposure is 10 sec and you press -1 stop, the timer will count up to 5 secs. By pressing the calc button it will show this. If you then pressed +1/4 with 'Calc' button on it then shows 11.9 sec which is the base, 10 secs, + the 1/4 stop. Your base time is always set in the timer via the keys under the display and stored by the 'Ent' button. Personally I have found this timer to be one of the best f / stop timers. I have never tried the RH stop clock but do have the Analyser. I find that good but it has to many secondary functions which confuses my simple mind.

Steve

7. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nocon Timer

Hi Steve,

This really is music to my ears - I'm sincerely grateful. :D

Guided by your explanation then; if I want to burn an area for an additional 1/2 stop above the base, 10 sec:
    10 sec>ENT> -1/2 stop = 7.1 sec... Hmm, given that the sequence is 10, 11.9, 14.1, etc., shouldn't the difference be 4.1 sec? :confused: Hey, and you thought you had a 'simple mind'!

Richard

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  8. Stephen Weston

Stephen Weston Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Richard

I have posted them in the manuals over on FADU. It won't let me upload on here as the file size is to big? i will PM them to you if I can. If you want to burn for 1/2 stop over the 10 seconds base you press +1/2. this then gives you 14.1. The timer when activated will do your base exposer and turn off. Then to do your burn you hit the increase button and the timer will count up the extra 4.1 secs. If you hit the initial button again it is like resetting it and it will count up from 10 secs again. if you have any problems let me know and I will try and help you out.

Steve

9. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    [​IMG] Nocon Timer.pdf

Have a look at these, I think this is what you were asking for.

10. Stephen Weston

Stephen Weston Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There you go. BMbikerider has beat me to it. They are the ones i just put up on FADU. Anyway hope they help.:smile:

Steve

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It may be just me but I can't download these. Maybe this is what Steve was alluding to

pentaxuser

12. Stephen Weston

Stephen Weston Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  13. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve,

Once again, I'm extremely grateful for all your time, effort and assistance. I've downloaded your superbly reproduced scan from FADU, and so it won't be necessary for you to send me a PM.

Indeed, thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to make a contribution to this thread.

Kindest regards,

Richard

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013