Nokton 50mm F1.1?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by davela, May 19, 2009.

1. davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is an interesting claim being made over at RFF that Cosina is about to announce an M mount 50mm F1.1 lens. Does anyone else have any factual information about this?

2. p3200TMZ

p3200TMZ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is official... Tom Abrahamsson photographed with the new CV Nokton 50mm f1.1 when he was in Japan in March. Pricing is around $1100USD but no word on delivery.

Here is a link to a set of photos taken by Tom A. with the new Nokton 50/1.1 - Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1

3. p3200TMZ

p3200TMZ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why oh why don't they do such things for SLRs.....Then again, maybe I am being greedy. How much faster is this than 1.2, really....and it is not THAT much cheaper than the Canon 1.2, and actually more expensive than the brand new Nikon 1.2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Isn't it a half stop or something?

6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There is information (in Japanese) on Cosina's Web site, including a photo.

An interesting lens, but do you really need f/1.1? I suppose you do if you shoot a lot at night. Otherwise, this is about bragging rights, which means they should sell a lot of them.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would definitely use f/1 a lot if I had it...but not with a rangefinder. The proplem is almost no D of F coupled with a rangefinder's focusing precision. That's why I say I wish it was an SLR lens instead.

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to the Wikipedia article on f stops, this is 1/3 stop slower than an f/1.0 lens, and 1/3 stop faster than an f/1.2 lens. f/1.2 is also one of the numbers used for a half-stop progression, however, so it could only be 1/6 stop difference from the Nikon and Canon f/1.2 lenses.

As far as t stops, which are what really matters as far as how much light a lens can pass to the film, who knows.

For instance, the Canon EF 200mm f/2.0 IS passes 2/3 stop less light than the 200mm f/1.8, even though the f numbers say that the difference should only be 1/3 stop. The IS lens has more elements.

9. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My thought progression went like this:
    "OH MY GOD I WANT ONE"
    "...why?"
    "maybe when the exchange rate is a bit better"

Certainly be a lot of fun though, it's on the wish list. And a good move on Voigtlander's part to challenge the noctilux's standing without having to re-mortgaging the house.

10. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A properly adjusted rangefinder on a camera like an M3 will likely give you a sharper result than if you tried focusing an f/1 with an SLR. I use a Noct with an M3 all the time, and the focusing accuracy is no issue at all. I can't say the same thing when focusing wide open using even a 1.4 on my Nikon F2.

11. p3200TMZ

p3200TMZ Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Clay,

I would agree... my 'hit-rate' with the M5 and Nokton 35/1.2 is better than the Nikon FM2 with the Nikkor 35mm f1.4.

12. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

:D

Exactly the same feeling here!

Good to see Voigtlander taking the advice from its users. A year ago or so there was a thread on the rangefinder forum about what folks would like Voigtlander do next lenswise.

The overwhelming majority asked for a kickass-wide 50mm.
    I reckon this was the result. Couldn't have been better!

13. kram

kram Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any MTF graphs for the lens. Will be interesting to see how it compares to other fast RF lens: Leica f1.0, f0.95, the old f1.2 and the Konica f1.2.

14. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This looks like it would be fun to use.
    -Rob

15. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From the pictures I've seen on Flickr it looks to me that the 1.2 Noc beats it out, albeit 50 v 35mm.

I also don't think very much of the DOF of this lens, again, from what I've seen. I'm planning on purchasing the 1.2 this week and this 1.1 is not even a consideration, even if they were the same price.
    That may be unfair, but as far as the images, on a M8, not scanned, not close.

16. mrlowlight

mrlowlight Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    I cannot wait. Are there any other ways to get it in the US, other than from Gandy? I've had bad experiences with him in the past.

Bill

17. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Photo Village in New York is the only other factory authorized Cosina Voigtlander dealer in the USA. They'll likely sell the 1.1