Norita Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Alansworld, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Alansworld

Alansworld Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if any of you remember the Graflex Norita? It was a 6x6 SLR, similar in style to the Pentax 67. I bought one in the mid-70s when I was living in New York, only ever had the 80mm, and I loved it. I used it for black and white and the occasional roll of the most delicious transparencies. Eventually I (in retrospect, this decision was inexplicable) decided to go 35mm and traded it in for a Canon F1 and accessories.

But now after a break from the darkroom of a couple of decades, I'm back in there, and enjoying it immensely, but oh how I miss that clunky big old Norita, which now seems to be an extreme rarity.

Alan

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to film, and to Apug. I remember those, tho I never had one. Sounds like a nobel quest to undertake, regaining a trusted old friend.

3. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    welcome back from me too.
    I (or rather my school) have one of those cameras - Unfortunately they (as Hasselblad and other cameras) are not made for students!!!
    So after a little while, the shutter jammed, and I havn't gotten around to get it fixed.

When working, it is a really nice camera and the lens is really big... 80mm F2.0..

I must do something about it, but I don't know whether there are anyone in DK that can fix the shutter....

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the Norita 66, they must be quite rare now because they were pretty expensive relative to other bigger name M/F SLR s and I don't think they sold many. I think you would be much better advised to buy a Pentax 6X7.

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you squint and forget that it's not a Norita, why not think about trying a Pentax 67?

6. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I owned a Graflex Norita 66 SLR for a few years back in the 1970s but don't have a lot of nostalgia for it. The camera made nice sharp images but the one I owned was subject to mechanical failures. As I recall it had to be repaired twice before I eventually decided to sell it.

Glad you asked about the Norita, though, as I made several hundred negatives with it on an extended summer trip to Europe in 1973 that I had not thought about in years. Unfortunately I was very involved at the time with my profession and never printed much of this work. Might be a good time to have another look at this archive.

Sandy King

7. haplo602

haplo602 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format