Noritsu QSS Densitometer??

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jim Moore, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been looking for a Reflection Densitometer so that I can do my paper testing for BTZS and couldn't pass up the price on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3830520450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I've heard fo Noritsu before and went to their web site, but they do not have any information listed about their densitometers.

Does anyone have any info on this one?

I don't really care about the Transmission capabilities of it because I picked up an X-Rite 361T last week. Just need something for the BTZS paper tests.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jim,

If you are wanting to do testing of paper then you had probably better have a reflection densitometer rather then a transmission densitometer. Transmission densitometers are usually used to read film density whereas a reflective device reads dmin and dmax of the paper.

3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Donald,

I noticed I messed up my original post and corrected it while you was replying. :confused:

I need some sleep :rolleyes:

Jim

4. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you tried to call them? Gretag MacBeth, for example, do not have densitometer manuals on their website, but if you phone customer services they can email manuals for almost all of the densitometers they ever made.

Best, Helen

5. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oooohhhh. A combination densitometer. That's a good thing. For all the zonistas out there wanting a transmission densitometer, I think that the reflection type is the thing to have. You want to measure the performance, not the score. (Obscure reference to AA, there.) For many years I had a densichron that could be used both ways and I found it useful. I was able to pick up a Rite Way reflection densitometer to measure my pt/pd prints. Dmax is one measurement, but the key evaluation is the percentage dot gain to check the highlights.