Not seeing changes in developed TX400 when bracketing

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by MatthewDunn, Sep 2, 2013.

1. MatthewDunn

MatthewDunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am new to Tri-X and have been bracketing shots - one a full stop under, one a half-stop under, one at what I think the exposure should be, one a half-stop over, and one a full stop over. Developed in D76 1+1 @68-69 degrees for 10 mins.

To be honest, I see very little difference in the resulting negatives. Is that just a function of the "latitude" that is associated with this film?

For reference, and in the event it matters, exposure was determined by measuring the darkest area in which I wanted to retain shadow detail with a one-degree spotmeter and stopping down two stops.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

-Matt

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt,

Have you printed the negatives?

As you are currently a bit rusty in your negative evaluation skills, you may be finding it a bit difficult differentiating visually between the results of your bracketing.

Printing them will reveal more.

3. MatthewDunn

MatthewDunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's fair. No I have not.

4. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You might set the meter to incident mode, retract the dome... run the negatives across the incident sensor and take readings...

Very roughly, a negative might get 1/2 stop "denser" for each full stop additional exposure. So I expect you to find one f/stop difference between the lightest and densest negative in a series.

5. MatthewDunn

MatthewDunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting. Will definitely give that a shot.