Not sure if right forum - client looking for COLOR woody/runabout boat photos

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Murray@uptowngallery, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Moderators, please advise if not an appropriate request, or if better forum would be more appropriate. Thanks. Murray

I know, I should subscribe so I can look at the galleries, & use the classifieds...

My wife & I have a client designer doing a waterfront restaurant interior. Her client wants color photos of 'Woody', 'Mahogany Runabout', etc type small (not Matchbox size!) wooden boats, with a 'fun' theme. They need not necessarily be Chris-Craft, from Holland MI (where we are located). In fact, boat afficionados would probably appreciate classic boats from ELSEwhere.

If it's OK, I thought I'd ask if any of you have such work in your portfolios, & have available sizes and prices figured out.

You can PM or email me & advise if you have a way of showing me images on the web, or however you have it worked out.

Thanks

Murray (at Uptown Gallery & Frame Shop, LLC)
    Holland MI

2. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ....BUT???

3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Murray, I have a good friend in NJ, that has some fantastic stuff of runabouts, I will drop him a note, to see if he still has his stuff

Dave

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Go to http://www.woodenboat.com/ and look around. Pick up a monthly copy on the news stand and contact the artists you like. Search the on line index. If this is low budget project buy the Wooden Boat calendar and frame the images. Wooden Boat magazine goes back to 1974. The old issues are stacked around here at home. The photography has been great from the start. Now you can buy the issues all on CD, but it is not quite the same. If this isn't a sympathetic audience to that comment I don't know where I will find one.

John Powers

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Murray,

Just heard back from the guy I know, he is going to set up a gallery, should be set up tommorow, I will post a message with the link when he emails me, you really need to see these pictures, they are good, and from your description, could be what your looking for.

Dave

6. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thanks all.

Hard to say. It's not a low budget project overall, but then I saw a 6500 sf house with family crest carpet (I think same company that makes White House Carpet). The artwork that wasn't loaned to them for the Parade of Homes already framed was in plastic clip frames with scratched plastic glazing (not even glass). Go figure.

The designer doesn't pinch any pennies on art, the client I don't know.

I knew right where to go for quality artists, though. Dis is da place.

Murray

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    And if your client wants any color photos of Hawaii - you know where to go. :tongue: But, I ain't cheap. :D

8. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another option would be to contact Robert Bruce Duncan, a commercial photographer in Santa Barbara. He has published a couple of books on wooden boats that are considered classics, I believe.

http://www.robertbruceduncan.com/

9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Try google Tim Duvernet. Muskoka Boats , he has a very large collection of photographs taken over his life of these beautiful boats. If you cannot find him pm me he is a client I print for and I can try to reach him. He made a book of these boat photographs.

My Uncle had one of these wood boats at our cottage on Pine Lake, Muskoka region, absolutely beautiful.

10. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thanks for replies so far folks. I'm looking.

12. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Let us know how everything turns out. It is always good to hear success stories.

13. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    OK.

Thanks for the leads & contacts.

We're going to try and line things up & probably refer the designer directly. 1) She's a boater 2) It'll streamline the process & make decision-making or deferral more urgent.

Murray