Notch code reference

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by davet, Sep 19, 2004.

1. davet

davet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi folks,

Rummaging around a closet brought to light a film holder (so that's where it went!) loaded with ... yes, well, there's the rub. After downloading a bunch of PDFs from a bunch of different mfrs it turned out to be HP5+, which I don't use often enough to remember, and which got me wondering: is there someplace online where notch codes are tabulated? Kodak does a good job with Kodak films, but understandably does not have Ilford, Agfa, Fuji, Efke, etc. Such a table would also be a nice addition to the "Articles" section here on APUG, at least for the forgetful among us.

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi there

i came across this address a while back, but can't remember how i found it :smile:
    i should have left a trail of popcorn or something so i could eventually find my way back to the same spot!

http://www.srv.net/~vail/notch.htm

it may not be totally complete, but it has a lot of the "big 3" ...

-john

3. chrisg

chrisg Member

So new FP4 is like old HP5. Wonder how many people that screwed up?

I can't point to a central source for notch code info, but I discovered this afternoon that J&C 400 and BPF200 have identical single "V" notches. I'm on my first box of each. The packaging suggests they're made by the same company. Would be nicer if they had unique notches.

Chris

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a bunch of notch codes for both B&W and Color sheet film starting on page 72 in Steve Simmon's book "Using the view camera".

6. wilhelm

wilhelm Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been working on the sheet film article over on Wikipedia, and the notch codes would be nice to add to the article. You guys have any idea if the notch codes are copyrighted somehow? I'm sure Agfa wouldn't really care at this point, but the rest of 'em might start throwing lawyers at the "problem".

Will

7. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I know that the Maco IR films are very similar in their notches. The difference seems to be the depth of the notches.

8. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To second JHannon's suggestion, why don't you ask Steve Simmons, since he compiled a bunch of the codes for use in his book. (now slightly out of date)

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see why there would be any problems publishing information that is in the public domain, in fact I would see that it would be a benefit to the people making the film, the other "Using the View Camera" book that was published has alot of notch codes published as well, the name of the author escapes me now, but it is also a good reference.

Dave

10. wilhelm

wilhelm Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I certainly agree with you, Dave. Unfortunately, "easily available to the public" and "in the public domain" are two very different things. Kodak, for instance, used to charge for the notch-code document (publication F-3, in case you're interested), and though it's now freely available from their website, I'm still concerned as to whether they consider it copyrighted info. The PDF version does say "© Eastman Kodak Company, 2004".

Heck, I should probably just send 'em an email, and see what they say.

Will

11. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only other book I can think of is "The view camera, operations and techniques (1977)" by Harvey Shaman. Page 37 has the Kodak codes.

12. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is "The View Camera" by Harvey Shaman, New Edition, it was copyrighted in 1991 and has the notch codes on page page 125 and has 36 kodak notch codes...

Dave

13. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah! I am stuck in the 70's. I need to update my book collection. :smile: