Note to self: Yellow filters and color negative film do not go well together.

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by OddE, May 6, 2012.

1. OddE

OddE Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bah.

I shoot 99% b+w, and, as such, am quite used to viewing the world in a yellow-ish sheen as I look through the viewfinder.

Last week I shot a couple of rolls of Portra. Did it even occur to me to get rid of the yellow filter? Nope. Not until I picked up the prints at my local lab yesterday...

Oh well. I guess I'll have to go hybrid on this one. Photoshop does have its uses, after all.

2. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perhaps it's the start of your famous "yellow period"? :smile:

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A bit of warmth can be nice sometimes. Cant be too bad right? Maybe a few keepers?

4. OddE

OddE Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nah, it isn't really all that bad - or, more precisely, it doesn't look all that bad to my (color-deficient) eyes, anyway.

It does look a little strange, though - it is clearly mid-day, whereas the light looks somewhat early morning-ish. Good thing I was using a yellow, not an orange filter. I assume things would have looked worse, then.

Mostly, I am just annoyed with myself for not thinking in the first place.

Perhaps I should take Andrew's cue and make a habit of it, then call it 'art'. :smile:

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    * never mind * I forgot which forum I was on. :wink:

6. Gatsby1923

Gatsby1923 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been there, done that... It happens to the best of us. Though there was no hybrid option when I did that last.

Dave M

7. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Considering that you have a colour negative, and that you have to "filter" it anyway, printing it on conventional colour paper should not give more or less recovery room than going hybrid. You will certainly lose some colour fidelity but you should obtain realistic results I suppose.

If you print yourself B&W but not colour, maybe you might try to print them as B&W (I am no printer but I suppose it could work).

If the result is disappointing you can always sell it as "artistic research in the chromatic domain" but you'll have to have this thread deleted first.

8. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could sca... I mean convert to dig... then convert to gray sca... never mind. :wink:

9. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, OddE, if it's any consolation, I can go you one better. Yesterday, while shooting at Lake Louise, I pulled a similar stunt. Shooting both black and white (PanF Plus at E.I. 25) and color (E100VS at box speed), with the Blad, I shot half a roll of E100VS with the orange filter on the front of my 250mm before realizing my mistake! Not only will half the roll of color be deep orange, it will also be overexposed! Oh well...:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In low light levels, you might get something interesting! You might also try cross processing, which is interesting after using a color filter.

11. OddE

OddE Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Diapositivo - yes, given some filtering and VC paper, chances are it will look OK; I've been thinking of trying this for a while (I tried a couple of times while in secondary school, the school had a small darkroom which I got to use a fair bit - results were OK, though not great - but I didn't think to filter back then.) - I finally have an excuse to actually try it again - properly - now!

Bradley - well, thank you - you just made me feel a little bit better. :smile: (But the 100VS won't be overexposed, will it? That orange filter must steal 1.5-2 stops of light, so if you were metering for EI25, you'd be fine... Ah, stupid me. You were using a metered prism, weren't you? (On the couple of occasions when I've used a 'blad, I relied on a hand-held incident meter.))

Once you've developed it, we can mount an exhibition. Let's call it 'New directions in contemporary colour photography' or something like that, and wait for the $$$ to start pouring in...

12. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot FP100 with An orange filter once. My friend described it as a Nuclear Dawn look

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eat some digitalis, you won't notice it then.

14. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I came oh-so-close to doing this exact thing over the weekend... I dodged it by deciding to use a Polarizer instead of the yellow filter!

15. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lomo, anyone?