Now that I have my new M645......

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shootar401, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A few of you know I just picked up a Mamiya M645 Pro, with 3 rolls through it. It's going to replace my Nikon F4 that used to be my travel/take everywhere camera.

Can anyone reccomend a good 2nd lens to pick up? Everything I shoot will vary based on where I am. It will be with my daily and I will take it on trips. So I could be in Dover, UK one day, and london the next, or in Vermont the week after. Should I look into getting a 2nd back as well? I'm looking to keep the kit as light and small as possible too so I can fit it in a small belt pack. I just picked up a 58mm yellow and polorizer filter as well, and it would be great if the other lenses would be 58mm as well. I plan on shooting 100ASA and 400ASA Provia and 3200ASA Delta in this camera.

I'm not new to medium format I own a RZ kit that I use for 90% of my serious work. I know what lenses I use most of the time when I shoot the RZ, just different subject matter.

Thanks!

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IME mamiya doesn't make a bad lens across all the formats.
    The only complaint that pops up regularly is for the old 50 for RB.

It's really down to what FL you need first.
    Luckily they are cheap so you can play with quite a few and pass on the ones you wont use.

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get another back. Sometimes you'll see backs with 220 inserts going for very little. I grabbed several a few years back along with some 120 inserts and made up 3 backs for way less than a back with a 120 insert. 645 Backs are small and light compared to Mamiya RB/RZ backs.

Lenses? 55m is a nice moderate wide and 150 is a good short tele. Like Bruce said, there's really not dud in the Mamiya 645 lens pile.

4. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    I have an 1000s and find that the 55mm, 150mm, besides the stock 80mm are the most used. The other plus is the cost, around $125.00 for either. Extra film backs should be also on the list. Go out and enjoy your camera, Steven.

5. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Extra backs, spare inserts, definitely. A 45mm is for me a must-have. The 150mm are dirt cheap. However much stuff you buy, you don't have to carry it all with you all the time; that was the misteak I made in the last century.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the filter size matters to you, it is important to note that while many of the lenses take 58mm filters, some (like the 45mm "N" lens and the 150mm f/2.8 lens) take 67mm filters.

I tend to use my 55mm lens as a "standard" lens. The 110mm lens complements it nicely. At the outer edges, the 45mm and 210mm lenses keep them company.

7. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I will take the dissent. I have owned my Mamiya for a year and have one lens, and have spent a whole year shooting it consistently without being tempted to buy another. I find that I know the lens quite welll now. But, we are all differentt, and photograph different, just wanted to throw that out there...

Regardlessess, congrats and welcome to the exciting Mamiya club!!!

8. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Mamiya 645 lens collection seems to grow like a family of rabbits!:confused: They are just so cheap.
    Today I shot cherry blossoms with the 35mm and the 80/4 macro (with and without the macro spacer).
    I also really enjoy the 80/1.9

9. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 110 and a 55. If anything, I found the 110 a little limiting, but that's because I use 50mm lenses almost exclusively on 35mm format. I picked up a 55mm for $50, and while its mechanics are less than perfect, I'd prefer to only have that, if I were forced to choose.

10. agfarapid

agfarapid Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get an additional back and the 45mm 2.8. It's a heavy lens but a blast to use. If you are using the waist level finder, the 45 is really great for street as well as landscapes. The 150, 80 and 45 make up a nice kit and not all that expensive.

11. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you know you are only going to use one roll at a time and not switch different films out, then don't worry about additional backs.....get some inserts instead. I have loaded up to 5 inserts with the same film and gone out and shot the crap out of locations and subjects. It allowed me to not waste time unloading and loading film all the while missing that potential shot that was going to be the award winner.

Of course, I do highly suggest getting another back or two.....at least one back and one or two inserts for each type of film will give you maximum flexibility if needed. Leave what you don't need for the day at the house or hotel to keep the load light. I have found it nice to be able to throw a dark side into a back, slip on another type of film and continue shooting at the right location. I mostly have used color film for 99% of what I do on my 645 Pro, but am starting to be drawn to the power of black and white.

I can't really recommend a wide lens because I haven't got one for my 645, but am considering like you to get one. I am getting away from the long lenses (in 35mm and MF) and getting more into wide (mainly with 35mm).....thankfully options are reasonable for us.

Bob E.

12. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would say I need two backs, one for color and one for B/W. Depending on the scene or where I'm at I'll choose one of the two. Plus if I know I'll be in and out of building all day like in London it would be good to have Portra 160 in one back and Portra 800 in the other.

I have the 80/2.8 right now and thinking of the 55/2.8. My bag is small and I only have room for the camera, a 2nd back and a 2nd lens, 4 filters and 8 rolls of film. Looking back at all my 35mm travel shots I'd say 50% are taken with my 50mm, and 30% with my 28mm, and even those seem a little too wide, so the Mamiya 55mm should be perfect.

Eventually I'll get a bigger bag and add the 150/4, but I'm not dumping a lot of money into this system since its only a travel/vacation kit, and all of my "Serious" work is done with my RZ.

Thanks to everyone who helped make my decision easier!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012