Now that Kodak VC 120 has gone, can anyone suggest something else ?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by bascom49, Oct 16, 2012.

1. bascom49

bascom49 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kodak portra VC 120/220 was my most favorite film. If I had realized that production had stopped I would have bought a freezer full.
    Can someone reccomend a close second to use ?

Thanks,
    Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
  2. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ektar 100? Nice saturated colours.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest you try the single film that is intended to replace the NC/VC pair that preceded it.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The choices are getting harder and harder, I assume you are looking for a portrait film with good skin tones and a little more punch than Portra160 NC, I suggest you try Fuji Reala, I.M.O. the best 120 portrait and general purpose film still around , Ektar 100 is a very sharp and contrasty film but even Kodak don't recommend it for portraiture, I should also try the new Kodak Portra 160 and 400, which are also excellent portrait films.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  5. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Portra 400 would be the most similar. Portra 160 will have somewhat less contrast and saturation.
    Ektar will have more contrast and saturation. All of these are wonderful films. Just depends on your
    application.

6. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    How about Portra 800? Vivid color, and quite fast. Of course if you're looking for fine grain, then go with Ektar 100. But really, there aren't that many films on the market any longer, so it wouldn't cost that much to do some personal research and see what works for you.