Now this is the way film should be marketed

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by gr82bart, Feb 5, 2008.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.lomography.com/filmshop/

Geared towards the hip Lomo crowd, but I guess anyone can buy film here. The more people that sell and market film, the better it is for all of us. Easy to use website, flashy, relevant information, neat pics, very in - great for the next generation of traditional film photographers.

Regards, Art.

2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey at least they don't have Lomographical markups on the price!

3. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    25 euro for a 5 pack of 120 format fuji acros film? I have them for 2.80 euro each...

Besides that it is 25 euro for us and 25 dollar for the usa????

4. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, in this case. You want film to survive in the next generation? Make it fashionable with fashionable prices. Lomo is flourishing, while local photo film shops are going under or going 100% digital.

Film OEMs are dwindling products and 3rd party OEMs make poor quality products. Is that better so you can get cheap film? Like I said about camera manufacturers in another thread, film and film products and accessories has to now be marketed as a luxury, only then will it survive and actually grow. Market it as cheap, and well, most people don't desire cheap.

Regards, Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I noticed the US $ and Euro prices were the same, and thought what a rip-off.

I won't buy from a site like that.

Ian

6. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm ... I see we have site full of micro-thinkers and not macro-thinkers, probably very few capitalists too ... :surprised: You all realize they are NOT marketing to APUGers, right?

Regards, Art.

7. Ralf

Ralf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, this seems very common these days. Many shops ask the Dollar price 1:1 in Euros, or even more.

I'll buy a standard 50mm lens for my Canon these days. This lens costs $300 in the US. Here in Europe they sell it between EUR 300 (US $440) and EUR 400 (US $586).

8. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lazy web programming on somebody's part with the price thing. They should be able to recompute the prices on the fly based on exchange rates. The rate should be around $1USD = 0.7EURO right now.

And not every listing has the USD = EURO, at least when I sorted for 120 films that was the case.

More power to them if they sell film and keep the pipeline flowing!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  9. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All shops are going under because of the internet shops....
    But where I live more and more online shops sell film for nice prices.

And if somebody would like to use across in the usa, i can recommend freestylephoto, across 120 is $2.70, that is about 1.70 in euros....

If somebody wants to get rich, take a second job, don't triy to rip film users off!

10. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think a lot of the big companies neglected the marketing of film too early.

11. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great site, for sure.

Ilford SFX 120 for $15 a roll ?

12. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I often buy slow speed colour film from the Lomo Shop. Their 35mm colour package options, especially for slide, are quite good value. I also like that they encourage home developing and sell developing kits.

13. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very much wrong, actually.

The uptake in digital photography was driven by the (rather-mistaken) belief that going digital was cheaper because it removed the need to constantly purchase consumables. As the prices of digital cameras decreased, the market penetration increased.

Clearly, the US and Canada are on the brink of recession. Who knows what other nations else may follow. What was once considered "cheap" may be viewed in much more favorable terms as "inexpensive" and, therefore, more enticing to consumers.

Let's not kid ourselves - we all have a price above which we will not or cannot pay for film. I have no desire to see that limit tested.

14. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As much as I like film, I'm not willing to pay "any" price to use it. If the future of film is "boutique" pricing, then I may have to rethink how much film I plan to use.

15. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually there is no evidence that Canada is anywhere near going into a recession. Having said that, I tend to agree with the view that analog users will be obliged to pay higher prices for new film/paper/chemicals etc. in the future. Smaller companies producing a smaller volume of new products will inevitably mean higher prices.