Now what?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by guitstik, Feb 26, 2011.

1. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A very good friend of mine has just bequeathed me his entire darkroom equipment and all of the sundry things that go with it. He isn't dead but he has become so incapacitated from illness that he has had to move to NC to live with family. Please add him and his wife to your prayers.

The equipment that I received includes a 7" sink, an Omega D5500 with a Dicroic II head and a spare, a Jobo CPP-2 with tubes up to 30x36 sheets, a roll sheet easle, two Beseler print machines and so much film and paper that I don't think that I could shoot it all. I even found a bunch of Kodachrome.

He had so much equipment that I had to rent a storage shed to put it all away until I can get my darkroom set up. Now I have to figure out how I am going to set all of this up in my 12x16 shed.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh boy I wish I was that lucky!

Jeff

3. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i mean this, i feel your pain.

you might think about how often you will be using a besler print machine and start there.

will the sink fit, as they are very nice to have.

4. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ann, I think that I will use the print machines more than I would use the roll paper print easel. The roll paper print easel looks like a giant 110 film cartridge and would take up a large amount of counter space. The print machines (I don't remember the model numbers off hand) will do up to 16x20 sheets.

Jeff, sometimes being "that lucky" can be more trouble that it is worth.

5. mwelsh

mwelsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats pretty cool that he gave all of that to you. I hope your friend can feel better.

6. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Joel,

I'm sorry that you had to acquire his equipment, due to such circumstances.
    If you can put it to use, I'm sure that will definitely help him to feel good !

Positive Thoughts !

Ron

7. classiccamera.com

classiccamera.com Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    sir,
    If you have way to much paper & film to ever use I would be inetrested in buying or trading for the excess. I am in st. louis mo. thanks,paul

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent. Forgot to mention, dont forget to wire in at least two seperate circuits. That way your enlarger wont dim if something else kicks on.

9. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    yeah, the roller paper machine is a beast, maybe it could roll out pasta :smile:

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Working with a roll paper easel is really wonderful if you are printing colour.

I would be reluctant to part with one if I had one, especially considering that it is becoming more difficult to find colour paper in cut sheet sizes.

11. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like you've got a lot of interesting times ahead. Building a darkroom, setting up the equipment, and learning how to use it.
    We will keep your friend in our prayers. That's a sad turn of events.

12. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very sorry to hear about your friends condition. He and his family will be in my prayers. He gave you a heck of a good setup. You will surely get much enjoyment from it.

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent point.

14. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just got home from work and I appreciate all of the well-wishes for Jerry and his wife Sue.

There will be a large learning curve with most of the equipment that Jerry gave me but right now the problem is clearing out my shed with all of the accumulated "junk" that seems to find its way in there. I will have a lot of work ahead of me getting it set up just right.