Number Of Reels In Tank

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Snapshot, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I have a Paterson System 4 tank that can hold 3 reels and a AP compact tank that can hold 2 reels. However, it seems this week I only shot one roll of film and I am wondering if there are any issues with developing 1 reel in a multi-reel tank? My opinion is that there shouldn't be an issue as long as there is the correct amount of chemical.

You thoughts or input will be appreciated.

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    your correct. just be sure that the reel with the film is at the bottom of the tank, not in the middle, etc.

3. ijsbeer

ijsbeer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I'm developing 1 film in my 2reel paterson I put both reels in the tank. de one empty goed on top. so you prevent the reel with the film to float to the top.

It won't be difficult to find 1 reel tanks for very little money at flu markets

cheers
    Ijsbeer

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a little plastic ring that goes on the centre tube if you use fewer than the maximum number of reels. I use this whenever my tanks are not full and I have no trouble.

Some argue that you should fill the tank with reels to prevent surge marks during development but I've never had any density issues using the minimum number of reels.

That little ring just holds the reel in place at the bottom of the tank, so that the reel is fully immersed in developer.

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like there isn't an issue for me. I'll probably buy a single reel developer tank but it's good to know that I can use what tanks I have.

6. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only "issue" with using multiple reel tanks to process a single reel of film, is that you should always fill the tank with chemistry, and add empty reels on top of the loaded reel, otherwise your agitation will be more agressive as the loaded reel will travel up and down in the tank when you invert agitate. (Stainless steel tanks)

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adding empty reels above the reels with film and using only enough chemistry to cover the film works for me.

8. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you haven't got the little plastic clip you can use an elastic band to stop the reel riding up the column - works for me! Don't be over-vigourous with the aggitation to avoid creating bubbles.

Rob

9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    You will notice a slight difference in film density and contrast due to 1 roll run verses a full roll run due to the amount of emulsion in a full vs single.
    We never run single roll tests for this very reason.

10. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also use an empty 35mm cassette "can"--the little black plastic can that holds a 35mm cassette--to fill the top space when you're developing 1 reel in a 2-reel tank. If necessary, you can use 2-3 such cans until if you don't have an empty/extra film reel. I have done this on occasion and it works well.

11. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob Carnie is right on the money on this one. Having two full rolls uses the chemistry efficiently and consistently. Just shoot another roll.

12. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe buying a single reel unit would be the best solution in this regard. Will I have the same issue if that is the case? I guess I can always shoot another roll. I wasn't sure if holding off on developing was a good idea. I have been refrigerating the roll so I would think it would keep awhile.

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I would agree with this approach, you will be able to lock in your times for when you want to run a single roll and as well the times for when you have more film to run and you go to the bigger tanks.
    Also if you are not in a hurry refrigerating your film is ok. I have a client in Tibet right now who is shooting 8x10 HP5 and will come to Toronto in July to process with us. He has been doing this for the last few years and this approach works very well.