NZ-enlargers for sale and any kiwis importing ADOX paper?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by little puppy, Jul 9, 2011.

1. little puppy

little puppy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kia Ora. I have moved back home and am a bit dismayed about the selection of film and paper freely available. Am wondering if anyone in NZ is using/ importing ADOX paper and where they are getting it from, and any tips on keeping it financially viable, since I believe we have to pay GST on any imports. I would be keen to import a mural roll of resin coated. Am living in Northland if anyone else is keen to split an order/ shipping costs.

Also anyone wanting to sell off any darkroom gear please contact me- esp an enlarger that is capable of printing up to 4x5 negs.

Cheers

2. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was a 4x5 enlarger on TradeMe just recently.

As for importing stuff (film, cameras and lenses), I buy from Europe and the US (shipping prices and VAT deductions can make it cheaper from Europe). If it's under $400 (iirc), there's no GST to pay. Above that, you may end up having to pay GST, but not always. I've not had to pay GST yet...

3. Finn McCoull

Finn McCoull Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    B & W materials

I can recommend Chris Reid at Blanco Negro in Sydney, he handles Foma. Doesn't overcome the import problem but its a bit closer.

4. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    About to put up a Saunders LPL C7700 enlarger and Rodagon 105mm 5.6 lens up on trademe -

its only 6x7, but a pretty sweet unit ...

5. Lingoer

Lingoer Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    G'Day... I was thinking of importing a whole bunch of Efke products myself. I've been trying to garner some interest on NZ Flickr groups with limited success so far.
    If I make an order for Euro 3000, I get wholesale rates (add about Euro 400 for shipping). Customs and GST will add some more on to that... but essentially I am happy to put the leg work in and front the costs and on-sell to the NZ Market for whatever it cost me + 5% to cover my time to repackage and ship to the buyer... rough calculation (based on much guess work) is:

Efke PL 50 M 4 x 5”/ 50 sheets Euro19,50 = NZ$30.82
    Shipping costs (amortized over many products) at a conservative guess NZ$2.00,
    GST and customs clearance add $8.00 (complete guess) brings landed cost to $40.25 + my markup of 5% and the cost to buy would be NZ$42.30 + shipping within NZ ($5 for 4x5 film up to x5 boxes) - not bad for 50 sheets eh!

As for the question: Is Efke & Adox the same thing? I have searched around and I can't say which ones are the same (some are).

Anyone else interested, please let me know.
    Cheers
    Mark
    mafi photographics (you can google for that easy enough)

6. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When we were in NZ on our honeymoon I spent most of one day in Big Al's shop in Welliwood - He has even more broken bits of obscure photographica than CE in Perth, WA - There is bound to be good darkroom stuff in there somewhere

Our marriage has survived

7. gbealnz

gbealnz Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Obviously didn't spend enough money with Big Al then, LOL.
    I too am thinking of trying ADOX, but am having the same difficulty locating a supply.
    Gary