Observations on Kodak Ektacolor RA4 RT dev/rep and blix storage life

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Bob-D659, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had some leftover developer and blix mixed up back on 28 Nov 09, there was only about 200ml of each left in a couple of squeezed out 500ml pete plastic water bottles. After doing some printing last night, I made a test print using the old chemistry. The drum smelled a little different when I opened it than it did when using the fresh mixed chemistry, but the interesting thing is I can't spot any difference in the prints. The subject was a flower, and the shades of pink, white, yellow and darkish greens match perfectly. Processing was done at 20-21C for 2 minutes.

I do mix the chems with distilled water and store in free reused PETE 2 litre soft drink and 500ml water bottles.

Now does anyone know a simple test to determine if blix is still good?

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have seen similar keeping for the developer and longer keeping for the blix.

PE

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen it form particles before. I'd say that means it's done.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The blix forms particles when it goes bad. Same thing as bad hypo. The developer will generally just darken and sometimes it may oil out.

PE

5. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, I guess I'll just leave these small bottles sit and see what happens, as I am curious as to how long it will keep and remain usable. Not that that is a problem when I only mix up one or two liters at a time.