"Obsolete" — excuse me?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by jcc, Jun 13, 2013.

1. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just one of the Agfa coating machines could spit out 850million type 135 cassettes a year.

So, see that remark from that perspective.

Edit:
    Maybe even this is not the apt perspective, but the comparison with modern outpout as done in post #8.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  3. jspillane

jspillane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love how the only reasons they can find for using film are "lomo" cameras and nostalgia. I guess the author has never seen a 8x10 contact print.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ain't it funny how they mention that!:smile:

Jeff

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Idiots. Polaroids don't use roll film. In fact they use mostly nothing. :smile:

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember that those who went to college and could not write, became engineers, mathematicians, physics majors, chemistry majors and computer scientists.
    Remember that those who went to college and could write and were capable of independent thought and could produce new ideas and concepts became English and history majors.
    Remember that those who went to college and could write and were capable of independent thought nor could produce new ideas and concepts became journalists.

7. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm this was on Yahoo news. Seems I heard yahoo recently announced that photographers are obsolete because now everyone is a professional photographer [ with their phones, I guess ].

I'm glad to be obsolete....

8. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Don't worry.... the next generation, the kids of all these geeks, will rebel against their parents and make fun of their ole fuddy-duddy constant obsession with cute electronics gadgetry. Nothing goes obsolete faster... it's designed to. Rapid obsolescence is what keep the consumer
    electronics industry in business.

9. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well if it was on Yahoo news, that's all I need to know. The National Enquirer of internet news.

10. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And in the same vein, a story here about how much the Japanese still love their fax machines (and from the bbc, not yahoo).

Interesting that in the section on pagers, the author writes about the 'advantages' of pagers compared to mobile phones, ie networks going down in an emergency. Had the author had any insight into film (or done a bit of research by asking people like us), s/he would have probably uncovered a lot of advantages that film has over digital (like <$1k worth of MF gear can produce prints better than $10k worth of digital FF, and I'm not even comparing LF yet).
    Sure, digital has a lot of advantages over film which the author touches on (like the convenience of instant-gratification of your friends 'liking' whatever you're looking at because otherwise you wouldn't know if you should be enjoying yourself or not, I think this is the video i'm thinking of), but that kind of thinking is probably in the very tiny minority on this particular forum...

11. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they include land line phones as "obsolete," but then note that more than 60 percent of homes have one.

Uh -- 60 percent of something is a MAJORITY and, thus, not obsolete.

I love these idiot stories that have an ax to grind. If the reporter doesn't have something any more, it must be obsolete.

12. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it ain't broke, why fix it? New isn't always better. I'm work in IT at a university and I've seen many faculty break their computer by upgrading their OS without consulting an expert. One upgraded from Mac OS Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. All her apps that required Rossetta broke. Oops. Guess what? Slide lectures don't crash. PowerPoint presentations do.

13. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now I'm remembering a specific maths lecturer from Uni, he'd write everything all over 3 huge chalkboards, when he got to the end (about 3-4 times in a lecture), he'd rub the whole lot out with the sleeve of his jumper and write over the top. He'd also have an overhead-projector with only a few transparent pages, he'd write on them with white-board marker and rub them out and re-use them too. Problem was, all the chalk-dust from his sleeves would fall all over the transarencies as he wrote. He couldn't see the specks looking at the transparency itself, but they combined with the rub-out smudges to form a black haze over the projected screen which we could barely read.
    A few years later my Uni implemented a "lecture slides me be placed online after each lecture, preferably before" policy, in conjunction with making a Podcast of each (mainly it was intended to help the disabled who couldn't attend or take notes fast enough, but it mostly benefited the lazy like me).
    I wondered what would happen to that lecturer being forced to use PowerPoint. Something tells me he'd find a way to smudge that and make it all unintelligible too...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's quite a bit more theatrical when someone trips while delivering a tray to the projector!

16. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Considering that digital images appear instantly, you can edit and share them online or print them an infinite number of times without losing quality, there’s little reason to use an old-fashioned film camera."

Seriously don't listen to these idiots. They know nothing but that which their corporate masters and vapid friends tell them to buy. I cannot even begin where to start on these tech-people who just follow all things new and digital. But I can tell you this: they're usually boring and cerebral as f*ck!

17. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    An article ridiculing things "obsolete" where the author then uses the term "getting jiggy".

Oh, the irony

18. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought thicker skin was obsolete?

20. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is obsolete. The thin skin people hire lawyers.

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    XYZ, obsolete?!
    NEVER there are still 10 people doing it ..
    and they have to source the chemicals
    from auto parts stores, fertilizer distributers
    battery manufacturers
    and scour landfills

LOL

22. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't get me started.. Film cameras are still working after many years of use. Try that with a digital camera. "Convienance over quality" thats our society mission statement. To create fake un-realitic photos.

ToddB

23. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I read stuff like your quote above, I always wonder: Why is it good that something is fast and convenient?
    It just seems to teach people to be in a freaking hurry with everything they do.

24. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a serious and expanding flaw in our current culture. I often have had cash register operators, counter clerks, etc. apologize profusely for a short delay that I didn't even notice and thank me for my patience, merely because I didn't complain about something that didn't bother me. This is happening more and more frequently all the time.

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sometimes console myself with the thought Todd that my twenty five year old Canon F1's, that you can pound steel tent pegs into permafrost with, will still be capable of shooting picture when the majority of current digital SLR cameras are inhabiting the land fill .

26. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True dat! But what do you expect from a bunch of Yahoos?