Odd cameras and pro use

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Schlapp, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Every now and again I look again at Mr David Burnetts images made on a Speed graphic or a Holga. Yes I realise that a lot of his work is also digital but many the very emotive images come from these old caeras.
    This got me thinking, are there many other PJ's using odd cameras these days?

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  3. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm not a PJ, but I regularly use "odd" cameras for commercial production, particularly for mimicking editorial style shots. I've shot thing with a Holga, with the view camera, and with the Speed Graphic. All have met a warm reception, from the look of the Holga (I worked to exaggeratd the flaws) to the big transparancy from a view camera (They've never seen any thing like that)

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    J

I've always found ironic that commercial productions borrow from the "editorial style", but coming from a Photojournalism background, I find that design firms and advertising agency acted so dismissive of anyone with a journalistic background.

We live is a compartmentalized world.

I did have a magazine specifically ask me to shoot 8x10 last year. Their design staff was blown away since they are all so young and only know digital.

5. rastamansar

rastamansar Member

I use an 8x10 and make wet plate tintypes every now and then. Mainly for personal use, but also clients - Golf Magazine, Boston Globe Magazine, Outside Magazine....

Robert
    http://www.robertbenson.com

6. DMCarbo

DMCarbo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a Graphic View II and Speed Graphics for commercial shoots whe ever I can : ) Graphic View for City Scapes, Speed Graphics w Aero Ektar for Artsy DOF effects....Clients seem to be excited by the "Vintage" approach : )
    and usually freak when they see a transparency under a loop or on a light table ! Great Fun !

7. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Robert--you have some excellent work and I also enjoyed your blog.

8. reverend jay

reverend jay Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just noticed your location and I too live in Westminster........small world