Off to Australia tonight

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by roteague, Sep 20, 2004.

1. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All,

I've really enjoyed being here on the forum, having just recently joined a couple of months ago. It's a great resource. I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be off to Australia this evening for two weeks of LF photography, so you won't be hearing from me until I return.

For my Australian friends, I will be at the Ballarat Miners Retreat Motel in Ballarat on September 28th (I will go from there to Bright on the 29th). Stop by if it isn't too far and we will share a VB.

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a great and safe trip. I want to see pictures when you return!

3. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a great trip Robert. Nice time to go.

all the best, John.

(beware the 'roo burgers :tongue: )

4. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a rough chance to meet you in Ballarat. My parents live there. If you PM me I can give you my number.

5. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and I'm trying to organise it! As weeknights go, Tuesday is the best... so it's a chance!

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks John. One of the best part of this trip will be that I will just be going where the "wind takes" me. I have no hotel reservations for the first week (until I arrive in Ballarat on the 28th), I will just go where the light is the best and the scenery looks promising. However, my general plan is to follow the Murray River from Albury to Murray Bridge in SA, the follow the coast over to Otway NP, up to Ballarat and onto Bright in Alpine NP. Don't know about the roo burgers, but I will pass up on the Vegemite (I haven't been to Australia enough to get used to eating it :smile:).

7. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    have a great trip and even better light.

8. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a great sounding trip Robert. Travelling without being tooo chained to a schedule is a good way to go, and shouldn't be a problem this time of the year.
    You're going to get some nice scenery - but then I'm sure you planned it that way :smile: .

As said by JDC - Good light!
    best, John.

:tongue: Marmite
    :cool: Vegemite on Vogels mmmmmmm!
    And don't foget the funny hat with the corks tied to it .... :D

And maybe shoot some B&W!!!! :D

9. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, at this time of year you'll have no problem finding places to stay, and the light will be right, too. And you really should try the Vegemite. I'll bring some to Ballarat for you.

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You guys are really going to make sure I get used to it :smile:

See you in Ballarat,

11. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Caught up with Robert and Kevin in Ballarat yesterday.

I'd made a day of it and spent the day traversing the countryside taking a few pictures along the way and trying out the AWD capabilities of my newish Subaru. Since I was alone I didn't get too adventurous but I did get it covered in mud :smile: It was raining (Robert thinks it had been following him for days) so cameras were left packed and a pub found. Unfortunately I had to drive back to Melb so couldn't have more than a light beer and a Coke. Was keen to develop my film but my wife had other ideas... we had to watch Survivor! :wink:

12. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was nice to meet Robert and Nige in the pub in Ballarat. Pity about the weather, as I was looking forward to trying some Pan F. Robert, I hope it's bright in Bright.
    Robert says hi to everybody, too. He's hoping to find an internet cafe.

13. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tell him B&W works very well in poor weather :tongue: .

14. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He has some Efke with him, and he says he is going to use it. :wink:

15. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, Coopers Pale Ale works quite well in poor weather too. :wink:

16. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL! :D Betcha that goes well with vegemite on vogels.

17. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a digicam pic from the trip home :smile:

Attached Files:

18. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi All,

I just got in this morning at around 1am Honolulu time. It was great getting the chance to meet Kevin and Nige. We had a great time at the pub, Nige was driving, so I got the opportunity to put down a few Coopers Pale Ale. Kevin was kind enough to show us some of his work, which I hope he posts; his stuff is pretty good.

As for the trip. I put on over 4000km, following the Murray River from Albury to Murray Bridge and the Coorong. Then I followed the cost over to Lorne; driving the Great Ocean Road. The weather was not good, overcast and raining, but it did clear up one afternoon when I was at the 12 Apostles; got (hopefully) some great sunset shots there.

After leaving Kevin and Nige, I spent a week in the Bright area. While there I was at Falls Creek - weather was cold 9 C. I went up to Mount Buffalo, but it was terrible. The fires (summer 2003) pretty well destroyed all of the mountain top so the forests were pretty well burned up. After leaving Bright, I returned to Echuca to shoot the sunset along the Murray River, then to Sydney and home.

Great trip. Overall, I managed to shoot 60 4x5 sheets of Velvia, 30+ sheets of Efke PL100 and 10 rolls of 35mm Velvia. It will take a while to get everything processed (especially the B&W), but should have something up in a few weeks time. I'm already planning a return trip, although a trip to New Zealand is coming first - hopefully for my birthday in March (I'll be 50 :sad:)

Good to be home,

19. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back! Leave a post here whan you've uploaded some shots.

20. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a really good trip Robert. Glad you made it down the Great Ocean Road; I imagine the 12 Apostles will make a fine addition to your portfolio.
    Looking forward to seeing your interpretations.
    Best John.

21. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad you had an enjoyable trip Robert, pity about some of the weather. You mention another trip down under soon; Are you considering Sydney as a stop? If so, I'd be happy to meet up, share some *more* Vegemite and maybe some ales. Could also help out with some ideas and travel etc around Sydney.

Any idea when we might see some of the results of your trip on APUG?

Glenn
    Sydney

22. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Glenn,

I'd love to get together on my next trip, but, I will have to pass on the Vegemite. It was a great trip, in spite of the rain. The biggest problem I had this last trip was trying to find an ATM machine that would accept my American banks card (on my way back to Sydney for the return home); I finally found one in Yass.

I always come through Sydney (direct flight from Honolulu), I dislike driving in Melbourne. I don't always stay in Sydney, just generally pick up my car and head down the M5; it has to be one of the most beautiful drives. However, I do have several friends living in Sydney - one of whom is a commercial photographer. Next time I am in Australia, I will spend a few days in Sydney; I want a nighttime shot of the Opera House and Harbour.

Not sure when I will get anything from the trip posted. I'm really concentrating on getting my portfolio together, which means primarily images of Hawaii - which I need to have initially completed by January.

Thanks,