Off to Kentucky/Tennessee.

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Eric Mac, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Eric Mac

Eric Mac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Going off to Kentucky and Tennessee. Our trip includes Mammoth cave and Chatannoga (sp?).

Any other ideas in the region?

My wife kaboshed my Graceland suggestion.

Eric

2. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    what kind of things are you interested in?

Photography underground is tricky, especially on a tourist trail!

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Photographing in the Cave is going to be difficult. I'd take flashbulbs if you have them, but even with a couple #5 or #25, your going to get nothing in the larger rooms and they wont allow tripods. Still, I'm green with envy. I grew up in KY and really miss it.

As to other places to go:

Kentucky:

Red River Gorge (outside of Lexington, great views on easy trails)
    Cumberland Gap State Park (short walk to great falls)
    Louisville/Cincinatti on the Ohio River (lots-o-industry, Roebling Bridge)
    Land Between the Lakes (Eagles! Great views)
    And don't miss out on the great sites to shoot along the backroads

Tenn:
    The Great Smoky Moutains is always good, lots of waterfalls, lots of other nature scenes, great hiking. Perhaps you need a guide? I believe I'm available, at a good rate too!
    The Big South Fork (TN)
    Joyce Kilmer - Slickrock (TN)
    The Blueridge Parkway (TN)

There really are so many and I've been gone for a while, but if I come up with the rest (there are SO many places to go) I'll try to post them here.

- Randy

4. msuchan

msuchan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well between mammoth cave and Chattanooga you will pass through or near Nashville and Lynchburg (home of Jack Daniels). Once in the Chattanooga area you have a variety of places to shoot. The aquarium in Chattanooga is fun, then there is Lookout Mountain for its civil war history, ruby falls if you like caves and don’t forget to see rock city. There are short trips you can make in the area if you like nature try the Ocoee river area for its white water. I hope you have fun on your journey.

5. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Jadedoto

Jadedoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know if you've left yet!

Another good place to check out if you like waterfalls is down in Menifee county called Broke Leg Falls. I was just there a few days ago, and no water was running... But if you get a chance in spring or winter (when it's forzen), it's a cool place to visit. It's right outside of Wellington when you go down KY 460, which you can get from exit 110 off of I-64. :D

I definately sya go to the Red River Gorge. Absolutely GORGEous. Another thing in KY would be to check out the lakes- they're wonderful as well. My picks would be Dale Hollow Lake and Lauren River Lake.

Have fun in Kentucky!

8. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Considering how beautiful the country is, it's amazingly difficult to make good landscape photographs. Tennessee waterfalls are about the only thing that everyone seems to shoot successfully -- even Clyde Butcher! They have become as much a cliche as slot canyons are in the West. Skies are so empty at this time of year (except when thunderstorms come) that no filter or polarizer will help. Frankly, I think that Graceland was your best idea. Have a nice trip.

9. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't forget the Shaker Village near the Red River Gorge Area; lots of good photographic possibilites there...

10. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Shakertown (Pleasant Hilll) is actualy between Lexington and Harrodsburg, on Harrodsburg Road or Lexington Road depending on where you are leaving from, but it is also a great spot. You can eat there at certain times of the day, but reservations are required and they fill up fast. Please respect the people who live there if you visit - they have very strict rules for behavior.

- Randy

11. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pfft! Oh, there goes my "rape and pillage" photo tour of '06...

12. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Pass on Graceland, they want you to buy there photos not shoot your own. If you like street shooting hit Beale St. in Memphis. Have an oyster, knock back a cold one and kiss the feet of W.C. Handy for me.

13. cdholden

cdholden Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Memphis, Nash Vegas, Chattanooga...

Memphis can be fun, but I see it as a run down city and try to avoid it because I try to avoid high crime areas (I left Miami too) as a general rule. Beale street at night is well worth seeing.
    If you find yourself street shooting here in Nash Vegas, make sure to do it at night on Broadway or Printer's Alley downtown. Lots of photo ops and plenty of live music to choose from. Daytime downtown is a PITA. Do downtown at night, if at all. Suburb called Murfreesboro has a decent music scene in the local bars as well because of the college, MTSU.
    Chatanooga has lots of scenic areas around it, but I found myself at a loss for nightlife. There's a few options, but you're probably better off finding a small watering hole frequented by locals instead of hunting down the tourist spots. Do visit the aquarium downtown if you find yourself there and have a few hours to kill in the daytime. I think they close at 6pm.
    I've not spent enough time in Knoxville to comment.
    Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is a crowded hot spot for tourists. Lots to do and see. Great if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not.
    I'm fairly new to TN, and oblivious to KY, so read posts by others.

Remember... a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Enjoy the trip. If you're into fishing, try Center Hill Lake by Cookeville or Elk River or lake that feeds it (forgot the name) in Tims Ford State Park by Lynchburg. Useless trivia: Jack Daniels Distillery is in a dry county (Moore County, shouldn't that be Less?).

Chris

14. srobb_photo

srobb_photo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not sure if you have left yet, or will be able to keep track of this. If you go to Red River Gorge, then I would say to also drop down a few miles and go to Natural Bridge Park. Both of these areas offer some very nice scenery and trails to hike.

If you go to Cumberland Falls area, then also check out some of the other, smaller falls that are nearby. A couple are Eagle Falls and Dog Slaughter Falls. The trails can be accessed close to Cumberland Falls.