Off topic: tool chest drawers that stick

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by konakoa, Mar 1, 2010.

1. konakoa

konakoa Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A little off topic, but we all have someplace where we need to keep hand tools for our tinkering. I have a tool chest with "I" shaped drawer slides. Alas, they're not the ball bearing type. The drawers are far from overloaded with a lot of weight, but they're sticking more and more as they're opened and closed. I'm thinking they need to be re-lubricated with something. Wax? Silicone? What do 'yall use?

2. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WD-40 (My dad's answer to anything that doesnt move that is supposed to)

3. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These type of drawer slides geneerally can be lifted and the drawer removed completely from the cabinet to give access the the surfaces that make contact. Clean the slides and apply a little coating of petroleum jelly ("Vaseline"). That should do the trick.

Bob

4. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To get the draw out, when the draw stops, push a small screwdriver in the slot where a small metal tang is that hits the indent. Do it on each side. Once the tang goes under that traingualr indent it will come right out. Then use some light grease and it will be good for another 30 years.

5. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wax or real grease (red, white lithium) I like wax since it is clean and doesn't attract dirt.

6. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Candle wax. They also make Teflon tape you can line it with, but wax will work just as well.