Oh Cripes! Now what do I do??

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by BWGirl, Oct 27, 2005.

1. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well... somehow, in some weakened moment, I signed up to proivide a print to hang in the public building where one of the camera clubs I belong to meets. Great.... now what do I do???

I am hyperventilating! :surprised: I am not sure I have anything worthy of hanging for the public to see... let alone something that would represent the club. Augh!!

2. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have some great stuff in the gallery. The Upper Bonds waterfall is very nice. Don't worry about what others may think, just do your best and have fun printing..

--John

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Relax - I know you have something that is not only "worthy of hanging for the public to see", but will also impress the members of the camera club. At least if they're like the members of my local camera club They won't admit it, but they can't make a proper BW picture with their digicams (not that they could when they used film, either) :D

4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    take a deep breath and hang something. have fun and surrender to the process. too late now.

5. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Breath.

There's plenty just in your gallery here. "Sharp" could work, several of the waterfalls, you have enough to make a good selection.

Mike Davis

6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah! The most common fear in the art world..."but what if I fall short of their expectations?"

As said by everyone else - RELAX! You're much better than you think you are. The work in your gallery would grace any public space - or private space as well. Your waterfalls are mesmerizing. Hang one with pride.

7. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go to your local museum, take a deep breath, look around, relax find something you think the group will like them "steal it" or barrow it till the group meeting is over. Course that would take more guts than just selecting one of your own masterpeices but at least you'l have something to hang!

8. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

Hey there young lady !! Slow up a bit and think..... why do you do this photography stuff? 'Cause it makes YOU happy - that's why. If'n they asked ya' to put up one of your photos, it's 'cause they like them. Sooooo...pick the one that YOU like best and hang it. If they don't like it...too bad. Remember who you do this for? ...... Yup - you !!

cheers eh?

9. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Let me put it this way:

1. Go to the toilet
    2. Look in the mirror
    3. Say to yourself that you are a great photographer and that your prints are well worth being exhibited
    4. Repeat step 3 until confident :smile:
    5. Go to the negatives and pick a few
    6. Make work prints and choose the best 3
    7. Study them for some time (hours or days) and choose the one to exhibit
    8. Print the winning negative!
    9. Be happy and confident about your work. You are worth the confidence, Jeanette!

Greetings from Morten (a true BWGirl believer :smile:)

10. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Jeanette,
    Stop worrying about others want to hear and start thinking about what you want to say. Look at it as the exciting opportunity that it is.

11. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok Jeanette, I have seen your work in person and I agree whole heartedly that you have plenty to choose from. It is very hard to put yourself out there, it feels very personal but it is so much fun. Go for it and love what you put up. I believe in you.

12. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    my advice would be once you have picked the image, print it how you want, then take extra care in the presentation. Maybe check out the lighting conditions at the venue to make sure you print to suit. Make sure it's mounted/matted/framed in the manner you'd expect. If it's framed and there's a spec of dust after closing it up... you open it and get rid of it. Clean the glass. Things like that people viewing it probably won't notice, but you will and you'll worry to boot!

13. Scott Edwards

Scott Edwards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Oh Cripes" you really are a Wisconsinite fer da crine out loud! Jeanette, you have loads to choose from. Choose a piece that you love and the world be damned. What do they know anyway. The folks here that know photography are the ones you should trust.

14. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wowser! :surprised: Thanks for the votes of confidence. I think I will take the suggestions (well... except, sorry Thomas, I do not think I should steal a photo from the museum... I have plenty to choose from from all the print exchanges here :wink: )! hahaha

I think making a few working prints of the size I want is just the ticket!

Since I'm one of the few remaining b&w photoshooters in the club & I get "nonsense" from some of the pros who have gone 'ick-ital' I just am feeling a wee bit of pressure. :smile: Sooooo, I guess it's just time to get into the bathroom & start talking to myself in the mirror (thanks, Doc Morten :D )! "Mirror, mirror on the wall, should I enlarge a waterfall?" :wink:

15. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeanette, I'm facing the same situation you are and am about to hang five photos in a place here in St Paul, and I have the same feelings you do. Gay is on the ball that it is personal, but I believe that as soon as we do it once, the successive displays will be a lot more natural.

You really do have some great photographs to display. Just believe in your own talent. For what it's worth, I would love to see a whole bunch of the images you post in the gallery here, only in person, printed on paper.

I love Thomas recommendation on stealing some photos from the local museum. I used to work at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, and know Christian, Ted, and Caroline in the photo curatorial department a little, and I'm sure they'd let me in so I could steal some of Richard Avedon, Ansel Adams, or perhaps Eugene Atget's work for you... :smile: Just let me know...

Have some cheese, brats, and a couple Leinies, and relax. I'm sure it'll be a blast.

- Thom

16. gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pick your worst print and hang it. Everyone will love it.

17. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I am planning to put some pics up in a local cafe' with others from my camera club in February or March. I'm the last film shooter in my club too. I'm sure that whatever you do, it will be great, Jeanette.

18. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have hung work in many places without worring about what others think. Typically if you like it others will as well. Someone may not like it but that certainly doesn't make it bad.

Select something that resonates with you and is important to you and go for it. The others have stated better that I am able to that it is for YOU NOT THEM. Go for it !!!!

19. sajianphotos

sajianphotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DITTO!
    You have some great stuff right here. Remember that you have seen your stuff lots of times and it has probably lost some of it's "first impression" appeal. I had great "first impressions" in your gallery. What is old hat to you is awesojme to me and, I'm betting, most of those that view the pic you choose for the display.
    I'd like to tell you to relax but I think a little nervousness tells me there's some "humble" in your art and IMO that's always the greatest art.

20. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Jeanette,

Wanna blow their socks off? I count six close-ups, or details taken of fast moving water in your personal gallery...why not hang more than one? Diptych? Triptych? Heck, hang all six!!!!

Give your work a chance to speak for you :smile:

Murray

21. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Six? Is that called a Sextych? :smile:

22. CharlieM

CharlieM Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jeanette, I just had a look at your gallery. I particularly like the first one you posted, of the Retzer Nature Centre, and also the Snail Shell Harbor (I like it as it is). The waterfalls are great too - you have loads of choice. You have to go for it - you know in your heart the one that means most to YOU.

I had an exhibition last year of ten prints. It was very scary, - but when the picture is actually up, it will be great, believe me.

BTW that thing about spots of dust under the glass resonates - but at the same time don't drive yourself mad with it; learn also to call it a day; be proud of what you've done..

23. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    But thre's always ONE more bit of dust. No matter how clean you think it is, a bit always gets in there at the last minute.

When I was at the Aperture 50 Exhibition earlier in the year, I spotted a HAIR under the glass of one photo... Made me feel a lot better to know that the pro's have trouble too.

Ian

24. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is that legal?? :wink: