Oh man, I've fallen in love with Provia

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Kyon Thinh, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Kyon Thinh

Kyon Thinh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello guys,
    I've just got back to films after 1 year shooting digital. Then I have a deal with one old man and got his rz67 as my first MF camera, then another deal in apug for expired Provia. I did shoot cherry blossom with it, and when I got it back, I cant believe my eyes: the films are so damn beautiful.:confused: My heart was almost stopped. I took it to my school and my friend asked me if it is a print from a 3D film, because it is so real. I'm proud of it.
    Btw, I measure shot with spot meter, and my lab is a pro Fuji lab.
    Cheers,
    Thinh.

2. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    'Tis a nice film, indeed. Even when expired, it holds its palette faithfully. Now shoot Velvia for even more eye-popping pink cherry blossom (I assume you are speaking of Japan?). Provia is the less brutal of the two E6 emulsions (the other being Velvia) and is quite forgiving and easy going with skin tones, though better films for that are available. If you like being challenged and emboldened by strong colour, do give Velvia a poke. :smile:

3. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pics or it didn't happen

4. Kyon Thinh

Kyon Thinh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    305731_619202768107455_2105625025_n.jpg
    922378_619329101428155_1794300036_o.jpg
    922388_619189824775416_2047336796_o.jpg
    I have trouble with scanning, so the result is not as impressive as in films :sad:.

5. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm right there with ya, I've always hated shooting color film, always shot c41 and just ended up giving up and shooting b&w (always loved and will always love) but shot a roll of provia and holy, it's amazing. First image of color that i have shot at liked.

6. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No worries. There is no way to get a reversal scan to look as good as it does on a light table. I have tried and tried. It is not possible. You cannot force all that wonderful color and dynamic range into the digital space without dulling it down. There is nothing that looks as good as a slide on a light table.........

7. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Truth be told with transparency film (or any film), it's not dulled down, not a lot is lost nor sacrificed. You can achieve a miracle with an $80,000 drum scanner and skilled operators. Or I would not be producing prints from MF at the rate of $2,000 a month. I'm very, very picky about quality. What is important though — read, critical, is correct exposure across the image. All but one of the pics posted by the OP are out of whack — and easily fixed with an instant tweak.

8. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To this day I've only ever shot one roll of Provia. I jumped right into Velvia as a youngster (for some reason, I'm stubborn about doing things the hard way). I kind of want to try Provia 400 indoors with florescent/cooling filters, has anyone tried this? Yesterday I got some T64 back from the lab, pushed to 125; wasn't too impressed.

9. Kyon Thinh

Kyon Thinh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I tried the first image with Epson scan and here is new result. Last time I use Vuescan.
    anh2-15.JPG
    @Poisson Du Jour: Thanks for your advice. I will give it a try, when I finished my Provias, I still have a bunch of Provia.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's my favourite slide film too.

11. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use VueScan now and get great results but I tweak in Capture NX. You should be able to turn out something like what I've attached below with a little tweaking. We probably need to take this over to DPUG now though before we get chastised since this is heading toward forbidden hybrid territory in this forum.

Some Provia

20110508r01_19_fuji_provia100f_f4.jpg
    20110508r01_02_fuji_provia100f_f4.jpg
    fuji_rdpiii_ar_100720-034.jpg
    fuji_rdpiii_f4_100800-026.jpg
    fuji_rdpiii_f4_100800-040.jpg
    20120805-02 fuji provia 100f nf scan-120805-0011.jpg

Velvia for comparison
    20120705-03 fuji velvia 50 fe2 scan-120706-0009.jpg
    20120705-03 fuji velvia 50 fe2 scan-120706-0008.jpg
    20110213r01_28_fuji_velvia50_f4.jpg

12. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You think Provia scans nice, you should try projection or viewing on a light table!!

13. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    See my earlier comment in the thread. These scans are as good as I can get but they just don't compare to the real thing on a light table. I really don't think a scan can do a slide on a light table any justice at all. The slides are sharper, have better color, and better dynamic range. Colors seem to go bit askew when you force them into sRGB color space.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep I should've seen that. Don't know why I overlooked it. I guess I was too distracted by the images. Very nice scans, BTW :cool:

16. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slides are really amazing: last week I was at my uncle place and we got on projector some 30-40 years old slides. Colors are just unbelievable - like it was taken yesterday, on size cca 1x1,5 meters there was no grain, beautiful contrast and vivid colors with 3D pop up.

And my uncle did no used Leica or some fancy SLR cameras: slides were made with agfa sensor rangefinder, some old kodak cameras... My cousin was planing to scan those slides - but on the end he saw that true "power" of slides is in projecting them on big screen, and gave up of scaning :smile:

17. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm also a really big fan of Provia. But I like Velvia too. Provia is probably my favorite, all-around emulsion anymore. But Velvia is still a lot of fun to use, with its deep saturation and almost invisible grain.

Following are a few images I took. The first two are Velvia 50 and the following three are Provia 100. I found myself literally, suddenly right in the middle of a Civil War reenactment with the last three photos. Nothing quite like being up close and personal to the action.

confederatecamp6a.jpg
    oldhouse1a.jpg
    civilwarbattle1.jpg
    civilwarbattle11.jpg
    civilwarbattle15.jpg

18. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have about 50 rolls of Ektachome 64T frozen and about 20 or so of EPR. Now you're making me want to do a side by side.

20. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I do agree. But Oleg doesn't often shoot Provia at box speed. The trick to saturating the normally subdued Provia is to underexpose it, and it works beautifully for many of ON's works.

21. Kyon Thinh

Kyon Thinh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow your pictures are nich cooltouch and lamar.
    Well, to add oil to the flame, I just bought some B&W TMY and the seller gives me a bunch of Provia RDP II, cant wait to test it.

22. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Provia subdued??

Only in comparison to the even more over the top Velvia.

I loved Astia then E100G. Provia (100) works for some subjects and light but is too contrasty for many situations and awfully saturated for some subjects. Provia 400 is more subtle on both counts but quite a bit grainier.

23. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't usually think of Provia as subdued, either, but nonetheless I'm curious about underexposing it. I used to routinely underexpose Kodachrome, e.g., K64 I shot at an EV of ISO 80. So what would you rate Provia 100 at? 125? 160?

24. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was wondering the same thing about underexposing.

25. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agreed. Provia is quite saturated and contrasty in my opinion but not so over the top as to make it unsuitable for general photography. I like it but my favorite slide film was E100G so that tells you where I'm coming from. For me Velvia 50 is a narrow purpose film. I don't generally even load a roll unless I am specifically trying to get outrageous color and the available lighting conditions support that objective.

26. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed Lamar. Another time to use Velvia would be with very flat, dull lighting, like heavy overcast, to increase the contrast and make the colors pop a bit without the over the top look of it in bright light, IF the film speed will support that. As you say, I find it a pretty narrow purpose film. I got along somewhat better with E100VS but only slightly so (and appreciated the extra stop of speed relative to Velvia 50 - I never used the 100 Velvia.)

EDIT: Oh yes, if anyone is looking for a less contrasty, less saturated more natural looking slide film on today's market and you can stand some extra grain, try Provia 400. It's a wonderful film, amazingly good for a 400 speed slide film and flatter and less saturated than 100, but it is quite a bit grainier. This is a photo of my wife shot on our honeymoon on Provia 400:

[​IMG]
    Alicia_Kite1_LowRes by Roger Cole, on Flickr