Oh man...this film is probably long dead right?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by duparis00, Mar 15, 2014.

1. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I bought a darkroom off a guy who's dad was a professional photographer. They closed the studio last year and this stuff has been sitting in his garage for a year, I'm going to guess the summer heat killed this stuff.

The Ektachrome dates back to '79, the other films range until early 90s. Such a shame most of them are unrolled 100'.

I'm probably going to test some and develop at home, any tips on trying to recover expired film? Or is it not even worth doing, he basically gave this stuff to me with the other things I bought.

Film01.jpg

2. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The P3200 is more than likely past gone.
    30 year old Ektachrome might have some life in it for weird pushing and cross processing, sell it on fleabay with "perfect for lomo" written all over it and you'll get some decent cash for it.

The 4x5 with a silver top looks a bit like the packaging for Plus-X, which could be fine. If you don't want it i'll have it.
    The ortho film should also be good too, sometimes a bit of fog just acts like a pre-flash and you get a decent contrast out of it.

3. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Boy, I'd sure take a whack at shooting and developing some of it. A potential treasure trove. Dinosaurs raised from the grave.

4. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The remote control units might have some use if they work with your TV, else they are just junk.

As for the film - Spend the rest of the weekend testing. You might be surprised as to what is still OK.

5. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The ortho film, recording film and slide copy Ektachrome should be alright. The really fast stuff probably not so much.

If it's too junky for you to use (any of it), I'd be interested.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its all probably still good. just test it.
    i just processed 20 year old color 120 film in
    caffenol c spiked with ansco 130
    and a bunch of other film the same way ..
    came out fine ...

have fun
    john

7. jspillane

jspillane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When testing the 3200, I would assume a lot of speed loss. If you shoot it as 400ISO it may be able to cut through the fog and actually be usable (if difficult).
    I've shot loads of very expired Tmax and Plus-X and always had it come out just fine (sometimes harder to work with than if it was fresh, but still very usable).

8. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LMAO! You're not far from the truth I can barely use those remotes as is..I've got basic cable for guests...I barely watch any TV.

Yeah I'm going to have to get one of those lloyd bulk loaders...most of this stuff is 100' roll film. But I can't wait to try some of this stuff out...

9. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's awesome, good to know!

10. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the guys interested in this stuff, if I'm being realistic there's no way I'm going to go through potentially 11-12 canisters of 100' film. Once I get a bulk loader and a bunch of cartridges I'll load a few different ones up and test them out. If the films ok, and you guys are down to cover the shipping and the cost of a few cartridges, I'll send some of this stuff out. I really just stumbled onto this stuff so why not share some of the fun.

11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Good rule of thumb is 1 stop speed loss for every 10 years of age, so the 1979 stuff would be about 3 or 3.5 stops slower.

I agree that 3200 stuff is probably bad, and WOW I didn't even know they made a 1600D color film, that's cool.

I'm curious about the sheet film too, and also the silver can you can't see and I can't read the one that's in the box on the bottom right.

Looks like a fun stash. That's enough film for quite a few years! Lol

12. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The two cans are pretty much the same as the other rolls, either Ektachrome slide duplicating film or Fine Grain Motion Picture film. Except for 1 box of Ortho and 1 can of Vericolor slide film. Actually I didn't even realize the slide film says duplicating film, the explains the copy stand and the slide projector stuff that was also for sale.

Can I shoot the duplicating film like any other film or it is specifically designed for copying slide film?

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The speed will be very slow for the duplicating film, I've never used it so my info is limited but to my understanding we are talking like 3 ASA kind of speed.

The motion picture film may have RemJet backing, a black anti-halation layer that doesn't just dissolve in water, you have to use something like a teaspoon of sodium carbonate and do a minute wash, shake drain, rinse again, shake drain, then repeat the sodium bicarbonate again, do that about 3 times or so should get rid of most of it, then develop as normal.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. akaa

akaa Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I once bought a Kodak box camera at a yard sale. The guy said it was his inlaws and was never able to open it. I got it home and popped it open and lo and behold there is a finished roll of super X (?) in it. I developed it in HC110 and a dash of Orthizate and they came out quite beautifully. I made a bunch of 8x10 and took them back to the guy I bought the camera from. His wife was ecstatic. The pictures were taken of her family from the sometime in the mid to late '50s.

Moral: as others have said, shoot some of it and maybe get a surprise.

If you decide to offload some, I'd love to have a bit.

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've got enough movie film, just selling some of my own actually, but the E64 looks fun. Enjoy!

17. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah you know I just did a little research on the roll files and to be honest I don't think I'll be shooting them. The slide is something like 40ISO and your right the movie film is like 6ISO, only sensitive to blue but doesn't have the remjet back. Might be interesting to shoot as an experiment or art project but I don't think I'll be rolling them after all. I might keep a few cans but probably going to unload the rest. I'm going to look a little more into this.

18. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Right now I'm shooting 35mm Panatomic X with expiry date of March 1969. 25 asa, still in perfect condition, no base fog. No idea how it was stored until a year or so ago. You just never know!?

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film will never die...

20. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's really exciting...I should be on the lookout for these more. Not a lot left in the city but the surrounding rural areas might have something somewhere.

21. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't rule out the copy film. I have some b&w duplication microfilm (expired in 2009) and it is fun. Not good for full tone photos, but can be used creatively. A coworker just loves how it looks so I gave him a few rolls. He has no desire to "make it work," he likes the results as-is.

22. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  23. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  24. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good point. I have 2 unopened boxes I just listed on ebay...see if any takers. But I've got at least 4 opened boxes of the b&w copy stuff so that'll keep me busy for a while if I do try it.

I'm actually really curious about the slide stuff, apparently the only real major issue is that it's extremely low sensitivity film, add age to that and it should be interesting to see what I can do to expose it properly.

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Panatomic-X is about the only expired film I would invest money into. It's lovely

26. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Color could have nice long exposure images without having to use ND filters...

The B&W copy stuff is the stuff I would KEEP, it's like having tech pan...